Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Autumn in Ganymede

I've been trying to keep a closer eye on colours as of late. It has something to do with the large(ish) amount of colouring I've been doing recently, partly to the sketch-a-day routine and partly to working on The Incredible Cocuyo. I think I do alright as is, but it's seldom good enough.Regardless, no different than past years, I'm particularly taken by the onset of fall.

Where I sit at work, I can look past the boss's desk, through a glass window, through two playhouse windows, and, if I it's warm enough to warrant fresh air, straight on out the front door. There's a huge tree across the street and down the hill that's in a gorgeous stage of changing leaves. And especially on those days where it's warm out and the sky is blue, it's creates such a startling palette. I can't believe how saturated and full the colours are - this incredibly vibrant yellow against a bright, deep blue. Wowza. It's bizarre, because I only get to see this through the tiniest line of site from my desk, but it always demands my attention. You just don't see that kind of colour and contrast in nature (and especially in Southern Alberta for that matter). It's like I'm a moth or something - irresistibly drawn to this distant fleck of some extraordinary brilliance.

It's almost as if the tree is blooming and breaking out the most vibrant tones it has to offer. Except, y'know, it's the exact opposite blooming. I guess there's a good reason fall is my favourite season - despite my skin going all to hell and the regret of not being in school for yet another September, it's truly spectacular to see the world flare before it succumbs to winter's infinite shades of brown. Of course, this is so much better in ye olde Lower Mainland of BC, where there are forests of assorted flavours that each produce it's own unclassifiable addition to the rainbow. It's peculiar how intense warm hues contrast the cool air.

You see alot in pieces of science fiction about alien planets that have some miraculous season that produces a surreal, even hallucination-like, alteration in the natural surroundings. In Cowboy Bebop, there was a moon where giant plants in the sky would drop white spores against a deep brown marble sky. Even though I've experienced twenty-two autumns, each time I find my mundane surroundings transmorgified into something exotic and brilliant.

The chill in the wind, carrying the scents of winter and rustling the most vibrant colours you've seen. And floating a wisp of snow if you're lucky. No doubt, the best season of the year.
-Cril

The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon Ill hear old winters song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall

Nat King Cole - Autumn Leaves

2 comments:

Frank said...

Great writing, dude. I wish we had real seasons here sometimes. I'll be in Portland, Oregon next weekend, so maybe I'll take the time out to head to some national park and see what's what.

Crilix said...

Thanks for your kind words, dude. Coming from you it means a lot - I really like the way you write. If you get a chance, definitely go and see some sights. West coast forests in the fall are gorgeous.
-Cril