Monday, October 24, 2016

Outlook Not So Good

I recently started browsing the r/relationships section of Reddit as a way to fill a gaping void I suddenly found myself with. I don't exactly know how or why I thought it'd work - maybe it was supposed to validate my own feelings and actions via the proxy of anonymous and heartbroken Reddit-ites. This is what I've learned so far:

  1. Every spouse will, at some point, either cheat on you or become emotionally abusive. And make no mistake,
  2. All flags are red flags which cannot be overcome. It doesn't matter what the magnitude was of the original sin, how long you were together, or the prior state of your relationship. It cannot be fixed. But that's alright because,
  3. You absolutely must leave them, and you should leave them right now.
Needless to say, it's left me with a bit of a sour outlook on relationships. I'm caught between wanting to be in one and drowning in resignation over the fact that it will obviously, inevitably, fail in a spectacular fashion. It's a miracle that anyone these days still gets married, because every marriage will end in divorce. 

Of course, there's got to be some kinda bias here, inherent in the kind of people that a) seek relationship help from complete strangers on the internet, or b) give relationship advice to complete strangers on the internet. But credit where it's due, occasionally there is some genuinely good advice that's passed out from people who are undoubtedly wise about interpersonal matters. But when it comes to matters of the heart, the general tone is rather bleak and fatalistic.

Reading this stuff is almost definitely doing me more harm than good. But what should I expect, it's practically internet junk food drama.
-Cril

1 comment: