Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fresh Fruit - An Afterword

I just have a few other tidbits that have come to mind since that last post that I want to get off my chest before I bury the hatchet and speak of it no more. First though, it might be worth mentioning that I penned 3100 words, which took me just over an hour. It was going to be three hours, until I discovered that I somehow managed to put my system time ahead by 120minutes. Go figure. Anyways, I think 3100 words is longer than any assignments I've done in the past year. But that's more of a statement about the sad state of affairs for the ACAD liberal studies. But anyways, on with the show.
  • I now have exactly two less reasons to knock Macs. The first being Steam, the second being StarCraft 2. I consider myself a bit of a gamer, and it'd seem kinda stupid to go with a system that wouldn't allow me to play my favourite titles. With Steam (and Valve games in particular) available, I can't really argue that point any more. Mind you, considering it's stupid easy to install Windows on a Mac anyways may void my entire thesis for this one.
  • Second, which should have been included as a disclaimer, I'm incredibly biased in favour of Windows. It may have something to do with the fact that I've used it as my primary OS since 3.1. I've probably been using it since I've been six or seven. That isn't to say I'm ignorantly oblivious to its faults - even right now I can't get my tablet to work at all. Which is a shame, because I was looking forward to drawing Vader's helmet tonight.
  • Steve Jobs just rubs me the wrong way. I can't say why. I know it's popular to knock Bill Gates, but the man is lovable geek. Watch him in interviews - you can tell he's a total nerd that still kinda uncomfortable with public speaking and attention. Jobs, on the other hand... Strikes me as a slimey and arrogant car salesman. He's wildly intelligent, I'll give him that. But I don't like him.
  • I'm done with iPods. Once my Touch finally bites the biscuit (is that even a saying?), I'm going to get... I have no idea, actually. But I want it to sync with SongBird, which is a great iTunes replacement. Sure, I'd love some basic apps and web support, but I'll be okay with just a video/music player. I seldom use the other features anyways. It's a bummer, though, that you can't really find another competitively-priced PDA that isn't a smarthphone with hella expensive data plan. I miss Palm.
  • I just want to say one more time that Apple makes great stuff. The iPod Touch's interface and design is so sleek and sexy and intuitive. Macs are built well and are equally well engineered. It's just the company itself I have issues with. Their marketing, their pricing, their policies... They really turn me off. You can argue whether or not this iPhone 4 antenna thing is a real issue or not, but you kinda have to agree that Apple could've done a better job handling it. Telling consumers that no, in fact you don't have any problem at all, and deleting forum threads discussing the issue doesn't quite seem as classy as what they sell. Reminds me of Toyota. Make good quality stuff, but it's kinda overshadowed by some rather sleazy business practices.
Sketch45

So there we go, it's all off my chest. Now that you've been so thoroughly subjected to my long winded views on the matter I will mention it no more. Unless they do something really really dumb.
-Cril

Oliver Jones - Green Dolphin Street

No comments: