Thursday, May 08, 2014

All Kinds of Condensation

So I'm done. Like, done done. Finished. Completed.

Now what?

Truth be told, that's about as much as I've figured out for this post. My brain is a few different shades of mush at the moment, so I don't really have anything too clever or insightful to say. So, as I do in such situations as these where all I want to do is jam that door open a little bit so I can get back to writing regularly... BULLET POINTS!

  • The last month was hell. Probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Within the space of three weeks, I had to find a new place to live, complete three final projects, complete my portfolio and submit it for the school's review, make collateral and attend the industry portfolio review, make a website, move, do my taxes, and... Somehow not go crazy. But I survived. I was surprised it wasn't harder than it was, truth be told. It was still a struggle, though.
  • The industry portfolio show was... Interesting. It certainly made ACAD's seem like a joke, that's for sure. There were way more people in attendance, a lot of which looking to hire. I arrived late and got a less-than-ideal seat, and as a result I only saw about 10 people the entire time and maybe got 2 solid leads. We'll see if any of them turns into something.
  • In the middle of all that I also went to the New York Auto Show. Maybe I shouldn't have considering everything else I had going on, but I'm glad I did. It was pretty spectacular.
    • The Veyron is a lot smaller than I imagined it.
    • The Koenigsegg is very sexy.
    • I sat in the driver's seat of a Cayman S. The shifters on that thing... It's like you're pulling a trigger. So insanely satisfying. I don't know much about driving with paddle shifters, but damn. That felt right.
    • I sat in quite a few other entry-level sports cars - 500 Abarth, GTI, Genises Coupe, Cooper, etc. But the FR-S? That too just felt right.
  • Moving. Man, I really wish I didn't have to leave my old setup. My room mate was awesome, the building was great (if a bit expensive), the neighbourhood was fantastic... Really broke my heart to leave it behind. I really lucked out when I found that place. I'm glad I could live there for as long as I did.
    • Although. On the second-to-last night there, I went to bed around 2am after doing homework. But I heard lots of yelling outside. I look out my window, and lo and behold, a street brawl was unfolding. Maybe 20 or so people were spilling out into the streets, with just 5-6 actually fighting. The cops would show up and the crowd would disperse. The cops would leave, and they'd start up again. Eventually the police came by and stayed around 3am and things got quiet.
  • Between moving and finishing school... I'm feeling really homesick. I mean... I could go home any time I want. Now I know that the prospects for work absolutely pale in comparison, but it sure is alluring. I miss so many people. I miss the smell of vegetation (seriously, you don't realize how nice it is until it's gone). I miss late night walks. And I miss the possibility of owning a car. I miss the food and the affordable rent. But yeah, I miss home. 
  • As a result, some part of me really doesn't want to apply for work. Just bum around the city until my time runs out and I leave. Right now the plan is to start the job hunt, but I don't think I'm sincerely sold on the idea of staying. I think I'd do it just because I feel like I should in order to get some solid work experience and have a little bit more 'adventure' before settling down.
  • The last week I've been fixing up my website and Behance profile so I can start applying for work. It's tough, because every piece I upload I think "I need to fix that, and that..." But I need to just get going and start applying. I'll fix as I go.
  • My self control has gone all to hell. I started playing Evil Genius, an RTS-meets-Sims-type-game from 2004, and I've been absolutely BINGING on it. As in, playing for 6-8hrs straight and not going to bed until 4am. It's a fun game, but I'm not too proud of myself. Also, I can't turn away from junkfood. Ahhhhhh I'm turning into a slimeball.
  • I bought a Nexus 10 tablet for portfolio purposes, with a big helping hand from a good friend who paid for half the cost as a graduation gift. It's a pretty snazzy contraption. 
  • I also got a new iPod Nano, because my older one gave up the ghost. Not really a purchase I was excited to make, but it's pretty much a necessity for me. The new one doesn't really offer any new benefits/abilities to me, aside from, you know, actually working.
  • I got a girlfriend. Or she got me, rather. I'm still trying to figure that out.
  • Over the next week I'm going to see a baseball game, Elbow, and Eddie Izzard. I'm excited.
Okay, that about covers it for now. But there are still two things I need to write about:
  • What I learned from this whole experience
  • SVA courses/recap
Ahh, bullet points. Maybe I didn't need them after all, I could've just used dumb ol' paragraphs. But there's just something beautiful in unordered lists that makes it easy and okay to barf out every/anything that's swirling around my head. 

Anyways, I'm going to make a call and go to bed. And no, I won't play any more Evil Genius.

...tonight.
-Cril

I drove around the city
Looking for a room
That was high above the water
Where my things could be in tune
There was no one to help me
Nobody even cared
I had to got through hell
To get those things up there
I paid my first subscription
Then I joined the idle race
And they said 'store it in a cool dry place'

Traveling Wilburys - Cool Dry Place

No comments: