Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I think this is what going insane feels like.

Or perhaps something closer to ADD. Something about not being able to concentrate and constantly changing focus.

At work we're running two kinds of product through some machinery. This requires a tray for each model to be loaded, the machine configured, and the process started. About 2/3 of the way through the machining run you need to go back to the device and turn off a rather loud assist that has finished its cycle. One model takes about 60min to be machined, the other 22. It takes about ~15mins to unload either tray and reload it. So the way I figure it, the constant getting up to either turn off the assist or load/unload/restart the machine means that I don't even get to stay sitting at my desk for more than 30mins at a time, if I'm lucky.

I can really feel it start to yank at some of the plugs in my brain. I don't get to actually concentrate and work on any given thing for more than half-hour periods. Your concentration gets broken, you get up to complete Repetitive Task X for the nth time that day, then you get back and need to figure out where you left off. The whole day. Feels. Very stop. And. Go.

It wouldn't be so bad if either I was doing nothing but mobile odds-and-ends tasks all day, but I'm generally attempting to fry larger fish that tend to take more than 30mins to cook. So I've been trying to break up things into smaller chunks so that I can feel a bit more productive and be able to pickup where I left off quicker. But it's a hit-and-miss type of exercise in futility. It's really starting to get... Tedious and uncomfortable. But other people have way more important things to be doing, and I guess this would be divine retribution for not being able to get the catalogue together in time.

Oh well, I've been at it for two-and-a-half weeks now, that means there can't be that much left.

...

Right?



I'll try and squeeze out a few more updates as the week rolls on in lieu of the traditional weekend post I missed. Forgive that and the numerous spelling/grammatical errors - I'm "not firing on all four cylinders", as they say.
-Cril

Here we are in the pouring home
I watch the light man fall the comb
I watch a light move across the screen
I watch the light come over me

Here we are now going to the west side
Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
Some may come and some may stay
Watching out for a sunny day where there's

Love and darkness and my sidearm
Hey, elan

Moby - Southside

1 comment:

Frank said...

That sucks, dude. I know exactly how you feel. I get people in here talking all the time. They're my friends and I love them, but my god, they knock my brain off track all the time. I really wish I had my own office.