Sunday, December 14, 2008

There’s an ancient hotel, where shadows they do tend to wander

You know all those posts I said I'd do during the week? Yeah, they totally didn't happen at all.

I mentioned that the constant and rhythmic disruptions in my work day were driving me kinda nuts. I had no idea just how nuts I was being driven. I kid you not, when Friday arrived I was convinced it was Thursday. And I'm not talking about the casual "What day is it today? Oh riiiight" or the less casual "I thought it was X day. Oh well, Y day makes more sense anyways". No I'm talking about being so freaking convinced it's one day, that you honestly don't believe when you're told what it actually is. And then bringing out your iPod and checking the date to be sure he isn't messing with you. And then wondering when the last time was that you updated your iPod, and whether or not it could somehow be messed up. Totally. Convinced. All of the sudden I lost one of the days of the week and I had no idea where it went. It doesn't help when you have so much to do that you really desperately need that day.

Alas, I got to work and checked my journal which informed me that I had, indeed, already worked Monday through Thursday. I checked an online calendar just to be sure.

Most of the week disappeared into nights spent getting odds and ends lined up for Christmas. I stayed late at the office one night to get some extra stuff done. Helped a friend with some artwork on another night. Helped another friend with another artwork on another night. And then I spent about 7.5hrs working up a gift for my Dad for Christmas/his birthday. It was supposed to be just for his bday, but it got so out of hand that there was no way I was going to let it be used for one gift if I could possibly avoid it. But I got it printed and framed to boost the value-to-gift ratio. I think it turned out really well, perhaps my most realistic piece so far. I still kind of like the old one I did a bit more, though. It has a bit more style and flare to it. The new one is rather... Generic.

Let's see... Last weekend there was also Staff Party A. We had it at the historic Heritage Park, where we did brunch and wandered around for a while. It snowed, like, almost a foot that morning. It was sickeningly Christmas-y picturesque. It was pretty neat.

Last night was Staff Party B, however, where we all built Pummer Lanterns. Lots of munchies, a gift exchange, hyper and burnt-out children, some aroma de soldeur, and a plethora of hand tools and LEDs strewn about the tables. A few of the guys got pretty jolly on some of the alki-haul, and I didn't quite get home until ~1AM. Throw in some shopping trips around the various corners of Calgary, some more arting, and another foot of snow... And that pretty much sums up the rest of the weekend.

Looking back I don't think I even got 3hrs of gaming in over the past week (gasp!). I'm glad that I was able to stick to what needed to get done.

Alas, there's more artwork to be done for a friend, gifts to finalize, work projects to finish, and preparations made for Christmas vacation. Which, by the way, starts for me on Friday morning, and not evening. I was hoping to get in a full day of work before coming home, packing, and going off to the airport... But some idiot (me) booked tickets for 8AM instead of PM. Go figure. It's like San Fransisco all over again. But with snow.

A roommate got engaged this weekend.
[insert three obligatory "and what have I accomplished" angst-ridden paragraphs here]
Congratulations to him.

IMAGE!



Ah, right. Another destroyer of time and space for this last week was the uploading of a bunch of old crap I've done. I used to have it all hosted on Allbrand, but they're not maintaining the site anymore, and they're deleting any images that haven't been viewed for x days. Thus, I've thrown 'em up on my Flickr account. You'll find sets for Old Drawings, Misc Art (including my charcoal drawings from a few years ago), and some random Odds and Ends from before the 365-sketch challenge.

Ok, that's about it for now. I'll try to get one more post up during the week, unless my mind eats another day of the week I can't get back.
-Cril

Windows of frosted ice
Prisming candlelight
And somehow we
Start to believe

In the night and the dream
As it cuts through the noise
With the whisper of snow
As it starts to deploy

In the depths of a night
That’s about to begin
With the feeling of snow
As it melts on your skin

And it covers the land
With a dream so intense
That it returns us all
To a child’s innocence

And then what you’d thought lost
And could never retrieve
Is suddenly there to be found
On Christmas Eve

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Lost Christmas Eve

1 comment:

Frank said...

What have you accomplished? Dude. Did you read your post?

You can go back to all the old drawings and just stuff you did in the last week (a lot of it for OTHER people).

You've done a lot, my friend.

Life can't be measured in love. It should be measured in the happiness of the life.