Sunday, August 09, 2009

How Depressing

Woo, I just finished a solid 2.5hrs of sorting out classes. I've drawn up my schedule and course selections for both the fall and winter semesters, complete with a backup schedule in case my first pick isn't available. It'd be pretty nice if I got my first pick, but I imagine my effort to psychologically analyze other first year students to place my bets when and where I think slots will be available. Either way, I'm currently teetering on the edge between excited and absolutely petrified for starting school.

There's a Photography 101 course I have room to take if I desire (I have a transferred credit from my last year of studies, so I don't need to take it for the credits), but it requires a camera with "manual control of aperture and shutter speed". And, as far as my camera-inept knowledge goes, that means at LEAST a ~$700 investment for a DSLR. Maybe less if I can find one used. Sigh, that's a big chunk o' change. We'll see - I have until the second semester to look around and figure out.

IMG_0360

You want to see something fun? Check out these headphones, which retail for $50. If I look at buying them out of the States, they're way cheaper. They're, like, half the price. Ok, fine. I'll suck it up, put up with the exchange rate and extra shipping costs, and buy internationally. I'd still come out a few bucks ahead, and I could get a few other items on the cheap. Oh, but wait, nevermind. Best Buy doesn't ship out of the States at all, and Amazon refused to send out the items that I wanted the most. Jeez, thanks guys. How fantastic. Nothing like the "free trade" in the "global village". I had to buy them ME for bloated-price. They even made me specifically sign off on the fact that that they offered me a warrantee I declined. Argh.

Oh, speaking of Amazon. Remember Amazon MP3 Canada? I was looking at purchasing some music, and well... This is a letter I sent them:

So, I'm browsing around looking to make a big ol' order of all my favourite albums when I realize... Hey, the prices are totally retarded! $18.99 for a CD with only 12 tracks? No thanks! This lead to the obvious thought... Wouldn't it be cheaper to get buy the MP3s? So when are you planning on rolling out Amazon MP3 for us Canuckleheads? We like our downloadable entertainment just as much as the next guy. And I really really hate iTunes, and really really like Amazon a lot more. It seems like a natural fit. But seriously, what gives? You guys announced that it'd be here in late 2008, and there hasn't been a word about it since. Is it still in the works? Common, don't hold out on me, I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY!


And got the following response...

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.ca.

I apologize for any frustration. I understand that your overwhelming interest in utilizing the 'MP3 Downloading' service on our website.

We expect our Canadian web site to expand and improve the selection of products and services we provide, but we have no further details to give you at this time regarding our plans for this service.

Also, I do understand that this service is available with our partner site Amazon.com.

Our international web sites operate independently of each other. The items or services offered on our partner sites are obtained from different suppliers, publishers, and distributors, relative to the country from which the item originates. We are unable to transfer inventory from one fulfillment center to another.

However, I have passed your message along to the appropriate people in our company so they are aware of your interest in this service. It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects of shopping at Amazon.ca.

We encourage you to check back frequently for any new or updated information about our products and services.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.ca. We value your business and hope that we will see you again soon at Amazon.ca.


Dont'cha love those canned, totally useless emails that don't give you any new information? Now in this guy's defense, this is probably his job - sit at a desk all day and bang out response after response to inquiry after inquiry. He's not a director of business, he's not a manage. Just some guy doin' his job. It's just so frustrating that there isn't any information on this service, especially when it's one I'd love to use. Sigh.

I downloaded and played the Batman Arkham Asylum Demo - it was fantastic. Short, but incredible. I can't remember the last time I was so sold on a pre-release demo. Any kind of demo, even. The voice casting and writing from the Animated Series was just so delicious, even in that small dose. The combat seemed pretty fluid, although I think there's a bit of a learning curve there. The moves seemed kind of limited and repetitive, but I suspect that is do to not having any unlocks and not getting enough time to experiment with it. Once it go to the open area/free roaming sections, it was absolutely fantastic. It made you feel like such a lethal predator. I'm totally sold. Unless it really tanks in the reviews. Although, fun-fact, like all the cool kids the PC version was delayed from late August to late September. Which means, of course, I'll probably won't get to try my hand at it until the far side of Christmas. Oh joy.

Sketch240 copy

In other news, my skin is miserable, my iPod may be dying, my map (while playable) has some errors I can't figure out, I register for classes tomorrow morning, and I'm not sure if I'll sleep tonight as a result. Hooray.
-Cril

Now walkin' home on those streets
The river winds move my feet
Subway steam, like silhouettes in dreams
They stood by me, just like moonbeams

Look out the window, down upon that street
And gone like a midnight was that man
But I see his six strings laid against that wall
And all his things, they all look so small
I got my fingers crossed on a shooting star
Just like me - just moved on

The Wallflowers - 6th Avenue Heartache

1 comment:

Frank said...

It ain't THAT depressing. You can always get music, my friend. You can always be.... eviiiiiiil.

Good luck with the classes, sir. I love that Wallflowers song.