Monday, October 11, 2010

An illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

Where I live, I park in a spot that belongs to someone else. For $20/month, an old lady one complex over lets me use it, because a) she doesn't drive, and b) it ain't that smart to drive a 15 year old car around in Calgary winter when you can't plug in the block heater. That, and it lets me park right by our place, so it works out.

DSC07511.1

So, like at the beginning of every month, I come by this old lady's house and drop off a $20. I think she has some bad hearing - her TV is always on really loud, and it usually takes two or three knocks before she comes to the door. She's old and frail and has gray hair, but she's sweet. Always has something to chat about. This month, she wished me a happy Thanksgiving. I returned the compliment, and asked if she had any plans. She said she didn't - her husband had died some time ago. They were both peacekeepers with the UN, you know. He was a field medic. I told her I was sorry to hear he had passed, but to have a great Thanksgiving all the same. She told me to enjoy mine too, and pass the wishes on to my wife.

It occurred to me as I was leaving that if her husband was dead and she didn't have any plans, then she probably didn't have any children/relatives/friends to spend the day with either. Sure, as much as I wish I did, I do not, in fact, have a wife to share such a holiday with. But all of the sudden I was that much more grateful that I could call the family I can't be with and spend a few hours in the company of other relatives I have within the city. But what about the old lady I pay parking money to?

"Happy" Thanksgiving, everyone.
-Cril

Do you realize
That you have the most beautiful face?
Do you realize
We're floating in space?
Do you realize
That happiness makes you cry?
Do you realize
That everyone you know someday will die?

Flaming Lips - Do You Realize?

No comments: