Thursday, February 02, 2012

Lost & Found (but mostly lost...)

Found: One set of black LG earbuds with an on/off button and a regular jack.

So there I was, enjoying a conversation with a friend, when you came into a coffee shop in the downtown area. You were a man with "a flappy stripey half-mohawk and black and white shirt and skin-tight low-flying pants", as my friend later described to me. You see, I didn't really get a chance to see you that clearly for myself, but we were close for the briefest of moments. Oh so close.

As my friend and I were conversing, you strolled over and leaned on the banister by our table and slightly behind me. You even set your earbuds down there, briefly, which I saw out of my peripheral vision. I had no idea what you were up to, but by watching the eyes of my companion I could tell that there was something... Special that was happening.

After a few moments and without any warning, you leaned in close. I could feel your hair brush against the side of my cheek. And that's when you told me... Something. Something completely incoherent. We still have no idea what magical phrase you uttered into my ear, but you didn't hesitate to then try to steal a kiss before stumbling away. You bounced off of counter, table, and chair like a pinball before finding the exit. And it wasn't until later that we realized you had left behind a lonely set of black earbuds. The only token of our all-too-brief and mysterious encounter.

And you're more than welcome to have the back, of course. We'll be more than happy to return them to you. The only thing I ask in return, my dear sir... Is to know what you said. It continues to haunt me. Such a short phrase uttered in passing before you walked (or ricocheted, rather) back into the dark night and out of my life forever.

1 comment:

Frank said...

Well done.