Monday, June 04, 2012

Melodica'n

I now seem to own... Far too many instruments. Eight, to be precise. And at this rate, that's eight more instruments than I'll ever learn to play decently. But really, that's okay. Because once you learn how to passably play those two or three songs you got the instrument for, it kinda pays for itself in a way. Yesterday a friend and I went and pick melodicas. It's basically a small, two-octave piano that is powered by blowing. It sounds like an accordion. Anyways, we got these back two his apartment and... Within about 10 minutes of cracking them open, we were playing a melancholy tune. He knows some basic piano chords, and I just kind of stumbled on some notes that worked as a melody. And we sat there, and played and played this sorrowful song. No planning, no rehearsing. It just happened, as if it was meant to. Something like that has got to be one of the greatest feelings you can have.



Sketch054

In other news, I need to stop slacking off. I've had a month to take it easy and now I need to step up my game. I just discovered that some university classes from a few years ago will count as credit for the required fourth year academic course I need to take, so I won't have to enroll in anything over the summer. So I need to get off my ass and make this summer count. I'm in the middle of a bajillion things, and I want to get on top of them before these sunny days evaporate on me. Like I know they will.

SO!

This week, I will get the following done:
  • Book a dentist appointment. Mah teeth - they are teh suck. I need to get as much work done before I graduate and I'm insurance-less.
  • Get an oil change. Seriously, my car's health is precarious as is, so let's try and stay on top of things, shall we?
  • Finish my current drawing/illustration. I actually have three of these on the go, one of which is a challenge I need to get cracking on. But I need to get this one out of the way first.
  • BONUS: Learn 7 chords for piano/melodica (C, D, A, G, F, Am, Em - one a day)
With the exception of the bonus challenge, I should be able to knock all these off within a single evening. And after that... Just gotta keep on keepin' on.

On another note... Steven Page has a song called Leave Her Alone, which has a big band-feel with a horn section, and is all-around damn catchy. When I saw him live performing all his songs acoustically with Craig Northey, he did this song and played the horn's main riff on a melodica. Took me a half-hour or so, but I finally figured out those dozen or so notes. I think that little ditty was actually what turned me onto the instrument in the first place, and what I was particularly dying to use it to play. Even though it's just a short filler phrase. And you know what? It feels good.
-Cril

When I was at sea
I crossed the equator and later rephrasing the hazing amazed at how cruel men could be,
I saw they were no different from me
An oasis
Of boredom
In a desert of pain
All the places you once dreamed of
Only dreams remain


In London
Not Paris, not Rome
But it's home


She's never going to leave again


No, leave her alone
She's doing just fine, she's living at home
And losing her mind
She's learning to drive,
She's riding the couch
And from time to time, she'll open her mouth
And once in a while, she'll look in our eyes and let us inside, and murmur the words
What more do you need? I concede my defeat
I went out in the world, it was a mistake
I came home to stay, I'd rather be safe
The rest of my days
With people I hate.

Steven Page & Craig Northey - Leave Her Alone

No comments: