Tuesday, December 18, 2012

End of Semester Fragments

Yay, seven semesters down, one to go. The end of this one was pretty brutal - the stress/anxiety was so bad at some points that I was having a tough time hunkering down to concentrate. But I got through it. I think my projects turned out okay. One of which, a book of infographs about cars, I'm pretty proud of. Mostly. I think. I'm terrible about feeling confident about such things, but I think it's okay.

Anyways, I'm pretty exhausted and I have a lot of sleep to catch up on. But I've been keeping track of odd ideas that I wanted to write down, so I'll cover the three most recent.

First, there's this girl I know. I think she's maybe 9 or 10, and she's the daughter of an awesome husband and wife I used to work with. They'd bring her in with her sister to work some days, and at the beginning she was super shy. She was maybe 7ish at the time. But she eventually warmed up to the staff, and she was a lot of fun to be around. Whenever she'd be in the office because she had a day off of school, I'd give her grief about skipping class. I'd generally just goof around with her - she's the textbook definition of cute and innocent, and she's pretty bright too. She has me added to her GTalk client, and from time to time she logs in and says hello. It puts a smile on my face every time. She's an awesome kid, and it's a treat to get to yak for a little bit every now and again. I know that we'll eventually drift apart entirely and she'll turn into some kinda teenage teenager, but... Still. She's a fun person to interact with.

About two weeks ago I was in the studio, and things were coming due pretty quick. I was stressed out, everyone was stressed out. So I took a quick break from my work, grabbed my friends guitar, and sat at the front of the class with my feet up on the big desk, and played for a little bit. In particular, I played a little song I had written. The only song I've written, really, and even that's being a bit generous. It's more of a simple little tune I came up with that that uses all of three strings. I've toyed around with it and found a rhythm, picking pattern, and basic melody/progression that I felt worked. So it is something I've put some time into it, and it's simple, and it means a little something to me. So anyways, I sat there and played it out at the front of the class, while there were a half-dozen or so students in the studio working on their own things, not really paying attention. And when I finished, one girl turned to me and said, "That was really beautiful, Chris." And another echoed, "Yeah, that was really good." And really, it wasn't anything special from a technical standpoint. But it felt really good to have someone recognize when you put a bit of yourself into something.

Just last week, while we were working away late in the studio a mere two days before a project was due, I helped people out here and there. Pitched some ideas, helped to flesh-out some concepts, gave some technical tips, gave a hand with production... Just trying to chip in and give a hand to everyone else that was just as stressed as I was. At one point in the evening, I gave a classmate a particularly helpful idea for a quote to pair with some video footage. My best friend in the school turned to me and told me, "Chris, you are the best man I know, you know that? I say that in all honesty". And coming from a person that I respect and admire in more than a few ways... It meant a lot. It meant a lot not only be a good influence on some of the people around me, but so much so that someone had to point it out to me.

On an unrelated note, during the last day of class where we all take turns getting up to present our projects, I kept myself awake by doing quick sketches/caricatures of every student that went up. I ended up drawing all ~40 people in my program, including the profs. And damn, my drawing skills are out of shape. Kind of a fun (but exhausting) exercise, though.

Anyways, I'm rambling. If I don't start paying off this sleep debt sooner than later, I'm going to have my sleep knees broken by the sleep loan shark's sleep goons.
-Cril

Pilote - Turtle [Bonobo Mix]

No comments: