Sunday, June 30, 2013

Post-Secondary Post Mortem Part II: Plan A

About half way through my third year, in the height of my reheated lunches, late nights, and multiple jobs, I realized, "...wait a second, I might actually survive this. What happens next year once I'm all done?" This hit me like a ton of doorknobs in a burlap sack. Lumpy, painful, rather abrasive, and very puzzling. I hadn't even considered that there would be an "after" to this whole education thing, and felt kind of stupid for thinking about it. You see, I had developed a mentality of perversely delayed gratification; I wouldn't even think about the possible awards waiting further down the road. Instead, it was all about here and now and doing the unpleasant things I need to do.

And yet I started to realize that there might indeed be an end to this bizarro way of life. And as soon as I came to realize that this door had slowly creaked opened, I slammed it shut so I could concentrate on finish out the year. But I couldn't close it all the way, and my attention started to drift towards cars. To the point of being in the studio during class time and looking up MSRPs and reviews and classifieds. So I could, you know, just see what's out there.

As spring gave birth to flowers, so did this little bud in my mind start to blossom. The idea of being done in and of itself was the main reason that allowed me to go on vacation to Portland that summer and purchase a used DSLR in spite of my anti-spending mindset. And after that trip to, most of it spent in my brother's meek little Hyundai hatchback, I found myself thinking about cars more and more.

It's safe to say that between third and fourth year, I totaled my car and this desire increased tenfold, to the point where the entire purpose of completing my bachelor's degree was to get a new car once I had finished. That's what the last three and remaining one year have all been adding up to. To graduate is to drive again in a car that's new and reliable and mine.

When school resumed that fall, one class was dedicated to creating an informational book. I decided to do a statistical/visual comparison guide of entry level sports cars. And I knew very well that this project was laying the foundation to go car shopping in eight months. So I collected data and drafted it into a 30-something page book of charts, and I loved every second of it. I'd stay late on campus plugging away at it and tweaking the smallest details, before heading out and spending the subsequent bus ride daydreaming about being behind the wheel, and what cars I would test drive, and how I would review them, and where I'd take them and what music I'd listen to as I chased pavement across the landscape. Lusting after car ownership while riding public transit? It felt like borderline blasphemy.



And as the fall semester drew to a close, my mind was made up, I was sold. I was itching and squirming inside to graduate, because to graduate is to drive.

This was my Plan A, my Plan B, my Plan C. I wasn't sure what my impending shiny new career path would hold for me. All I knew was that there would be a shiny new car, and I just needed a job that would let me keep the gas topped up. I craved a modest sport-ish car that I would gladly dump my remaining savings into, and get a loan for. Go into debt for.
-Cril

Rag Mama rag
Where do you roam
Rag Mama rag

Bring your skinny little body back home
It's dog eat dog and cat eat mouse
You can rag Mama rag all over my house

 

 Hailstones beatin' on the roof
The bourbon is a hundred proof
And you and me and the telephone
Our destiny is quite well known
We don't need to sit and brag
All we gotta do is rag, Mama, rag, Mama, rag

 

Rag Mama rag
Where do you roam?
Rag Mama rag

Bring your skinny little body back home 

The Band - Rag Mama Rag

No comments: