Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Picked Last

We play ping pong at work (during lunch and at the end of the day, of course). Here's the kicker: I am by far and away the worst player in the office. Sure, we have two new employees that have started playing and I can beat them. But they're rapidly progressing faster than I am, and in no time I'll be back to being that guy that can't win against anyone.

It's funny; after all those years in school learning new programs and materials and taking tests, I kinda had this underlying belief that I'd float to the top of whatever it is I set my mind to. And here I am, being one to the people that practices (or plays, rather) the most and can't seem to get anywhere near the winner's circle. I find myself thinking, "Wait, really? What's wrong with me?", as if usually all I do is will success to happen.

But it doesn't. Not with a ping pong paddle in hand, and not after 2000 serves in 100 games. It just won't come.

And then I think back to those glorious highschool days, where I was consistently one of the last 3-4 kids chosen for any given activity in the dreaded gym class. Right. That's where I belong when it comes to such things. I have a long and consciously forgotten history of poor co-ordination and performance, and I guess some things always stay the same.

That doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself, though. Thankfully, almost everyone at work are gracious winners and I have fun playing and losing as long as I get the odd point in or make a lucky save.

I know it's a dumb thing to say, but I you can't expect to do well at everything. I'm glad I have the natural inclinations I do (technology, learning... other stuff too, I hope). But I'm even gladder that I can enjoy sucking at something, too.
-Cril

No comments: