Sunday, July 12, 2015

Chikkin'

So I think I just had the best darn chicken I've ever had in my life. Even weirder? I made it. After literally clicking on the first link after Googling "how to prepare a chicken breast". So here it is, in a nutshell. Why? Mainly for future reference, as another saved link will just get lost in the collection of all the other saved links I've never visited twice.

  1. Beat dat chicken (flatted it out).
  2. Season dat chicken (I used some seasoning salt, Italian herbs, and a bit of garlic powder)
  3. Put some olive oil into a pan and warm it up on high. 
  4. Reduce head to medium/high, and put in dat chicken. Cover the pan.
  5. After a minute, flip dat chicken over.
  6. After another minute, set the heat to low and let it simmer on low (with the lid still on) for 10 minutes.
  7. Turn off the heat and let it sit (still with the lid on) for another 10 minutes.
  8. Eat dat chicken. It will be delicious and unbelievably moist.
Bonus step: Take the runoff from the chicken pan and drizzle it over dem potatoes for extra flavour.

I know this sounds weird, but this is probably the first time I've cooked with proper chicken in ~2 years, so I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out so well. 

Lately I've been getting tired of eating, and I find that having new/different things to eat gives me incentive to not miss a meal. Plus, I get to learn how to make something new. Although, the question arises, am I going to run out of new things to try? I still need to be somewhat responsible with my grocery budget. Which, fun fact, has increased from $120/mo while I was in school to a whopping $200 now. In the back of my mind I worry about losing my job and having to go back to $120 a month, which makes for a pretty repetitive diet (things like ground beef very quickly turn into a 'treat'). But I guess it makes just as much sense to worry about that as it does running out of new recipes to try. 

In the mean time, I'll be having me some kickass chicken.
-Cril


Say everyone's talking 'bout chicken
Chicken's a popular word
But anywhere you go, you're bound to find
A chicken ain't nothin' but a bird

Some folks call it a fowl
That's the story I heard
But let 'em call it this and let 'em call it that
A chicken ain't nothin' but a bird

You can boil it, roast it, broil it
Cook it in a pan or a pot
Eat it with potatoes, rice or tomatoes
But chicken's still what you got, boy

It was a dish for old Caesar
Also King Henry the Third
But Columbus was smart, said, "You can't fool me,
A chicken ain't nothin' but a bird"

Cab Calloway - A Chicken Ain't Nothin' But A Bird Lyrics

No comments: