Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bend an ear and listen to my version of a really solid Tennisee excursion

POW! Tuesday-tastic post time. I'll probably be quick, I'm mainly here to note and celebrate sketch #300. Which, if I do say so myself, turned out pretty well. I'm surprised I only spent about 30-40mins on it:



Some bad news came down the pipes the other day. I bought a new computer based mostly on the ground that my family was buying old machine from me. Lo and behold, it looks like somehow the processor came out during shipping and about a quarter of the pins got significantly bent. My brother tried to fix it... But one of said pins came off completely. FRICK. I'm not sure how they'll proceed for now - it'll cost at least $60 to buy a similar socket CPU, but it'd only be single core. So at best I'd still get about $140, at worst... I just threw $200 and the reason for my upgrade away. And it especially sucks because those are good components, and I'd really hate for them to go to waste. Sigh.

On the plus side, I sold one of my 9600GT's. Basically with the motherboard and case layout, the second card was positioned so close to the bottom that there was very little air circulation, causing it to overheat quickly. BUT, a roomate bought it off of me for $100, so I've pretty much regained my loss. AND I can use two monitors at once!

Speaking of which, fun fact: A CRT monitor distorts the signal a Wacom Tablet uses. The closer said tablet is to said monitor, the more the cursor starts to jitter. I was afraid it was some bizarre hardware issue, but upon shifting my posture and moving the tablet closer to compensate I discovered the shaky cursor stopped. Good to know.

I had an epiphany this past week: The clarinet section in the Glenn Miller Orchestra's performance of Chattanooga Choo Choo is emulating a train whistle! HAH! Who'da guessed?! Listen to it you'll be amazed. Be amazed, primarilly, at the fact I've never figured it out sooner. Kinda pathetic, really.
-Cril

You leave the Pennsylvania Station 'bout a quarter to four
Read a magazine and then you're in Baltimore
Dinner in the diner
Nothing could be finer
Than to have your ham an' eggs in Carolina

Glenn Miller Orchestra - Chattanooga Choo Choo

No comments: