Sunday, October 05, 2008

Tastes like gold...

Ugh, I'm having computer woes... With the computer I don't even have yet. Like I mentioned a week ago, I put in an order for a new rig - the problem is that it's arriving veeerrry slowly, and in reverse order of usefulness. So far I've gotten the CPU, PSU, and heatsink in one shipment, the free printer/scanner in the next one... And now I'm waiting on the mobo and RAM (which may ship together soon) and the case (which may be back ordered for a while). Sigh, I just really desperately hope that it arrives in time for the next weekend. Monday is Thanksgiving, so it'll give me extra time to set things up. /crosses fingers

I watched Momento the other night. It's (I think) the last non-Batman themed Christopher Nolan film, and it's pretty solid. It's about a guy who can't create any new memories and is seeking revenge on the man who killed his wife. I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome - I'm not entirely fond of 'open for interpretation' story endings, and I much prefer if it was a little bit more obvious what actually happened. It was still a solid movie though, the dialogue was really good and the acting was also spot on.

I also watched Aladdin (Which was just as good as I remembered) and What Dreams May Come. I guess there's a Robin Williams connection between the two. I liked the latter one, though, the visuals (both in themes and in presentation) were really strong. The story was really unique - I enjoyed the take on afterlife. It's one of those pieces that really gives you some interesting ideas to turn over in your mind.

A special throwout/up to Heroes. I just realised, after half-heartedly watching the second episode of the season, that what happened in this year's premiere totally rendered the entire first season null and void. That's all there is to it. Big hooplah about 'Save the Cheerleader, save the world', but oh yeah the cheerleader can't die and saving her doesn't matter because the bad guy gets to her regardless. Ugh.

On the plus side, however, Top Gear rocks. I dunno if I've mentioned it here before - but it's really worth checking out. It's a British show on the BBC about cars, basically. But it's hilarious, well put together, and interesting. I'm not a huge "motor-head" but I really quite enjoy the show. As does my little sister, who doesn't have her license yet and only criteria for her first car is that it's a "nice green". The average show consists of one or two new car reviews, a celebrity racing a reasonably priced car, and often the three hosts going out together to do various tasks. On occasion, there are whole episodes where each host chooses a car and they do a series of challenges. The North Pole and African specials are both quite incredible episodes in particular. Go and watch it. Even on YouTube. It's good stuff.

Interesting experience I had the other night. I was invited out the other night to dinner with the landlord(s), which turned out to be Indian food (!) when I arrived. And, likewise surprising, we ended up going with two other couples. Not that it was actually uncomfortable or anything, but for the first time I did feel a bit like a third, or erm, seventh wheel. Not that it's really a bad thing - it just seemed like one of those cases of "one of these things just doesn't belong". Just a little bit out of place. 'Three Couples and Me', it sounds like a bad sitcom. Or, as Eric pointed out, an equally bad adult film.

Well, last week was a horrible, horrible week. I really hope the next few days are a bit better, and I can tackle some higher-priority objectives at work. There is a wee light at the end of the tunnel though - there's a long weekend coming up. A small, temporary flashlight of a light at the end of the tunnel.
-Cril

We get some rules to follow
That and this
These and those
No one knows

We get these pills to swallow
How they stick
In your throat
Tastes like gold

Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows (Lavelle Remix)

No comments: