Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Democratictastic

Hrm, two posts in a row eh? What kind of shenanigans is this?!

Today me, and many other Canadian folk went to the polls. And first and foremost I want to say that sometimes the democratic process amazes me. Not only am I in another province from where my official residency is, but there's a system in place to cater to the yokels just like me. With no Election Canada paperwork on hand, I arrived at the polls and was able to have all the appropriate forms filled out to let me vote. That, and I find in particularly incredible how we can all go to the polls and it'll be completely resolved by the time the day is out. Pick your flavour of coverage and watch as the numbers roll in. It's truly an incredible feat to have every willing citizen be able to partake in their democratic right and compile it into meaningful results withing a 24-hour period.

I have to say, though, that I almost didn't vote at all. I admit I don't pay as much attention to these things as I should - and in some cases I think that not voting is just as much a right. Besides, if I know that I'm unknowledgable in such things, wouldn't it make sense to leave it to those who find that this is their passion? Leave it to people who make it their business to be informed on how the government is run. But that's not what I did. Perhaps it was peer pressure to some degree, I went with my very strong conservative roommates/friends, one of whom's mother works for Election Canada. And they further believe that not-voting should be punishable by fines a la Australia. But frankly, that's a whole can of worms not really worth opening.

So I guess I threw my vote away, in a sense. I cast my ballot for an independent in an otherwise fairly strong Conservative riding. I can't even remember is name, perhaps McNeil somethingorother. I think he was referred to as 'Libertarian'. Mind you, I could have also voted Marxist-Leninist. But I particularly have respect for independants. I'll come right out and admit I have no freaking clue what this dude stood for, but I like the idea of leaders who are not bound by a party line. I like politicians who rely on what they think is best, and what is best for the citizens he/she watches over. It becomes a bit more intimate knowing that someone is running for office and working hard because they think it's something worth doing. I'm not so fond of large political parties who have candidates just for the sake of winning seats and gaining votes. That's not for me. Also, the Conservative in the running, Jim Prentice, is a complete idiot and tool who submitted a certain copyright reform bill which is total bogus. I'd be happy if I never heard his name again, but that probably won't be the case.

And along another line of thought, THIS is why the Canadian government kicks that of our fine neighbours to the South (no offense, Frank). We just called, campaigned, and went to vote on an election that will have a result by the end of the day. All of this within less than TWO MONTHS. Not YEARS. Got that America? While I kind of understand how a two-year voting process brings some people to be aware and involved, I find it becomes more of a popularity contest and less about issues. The candidates turn into celebrities, and the media covers not what's important, but the niggling little dirty secrets on each personality. Meanwhile, the rest of the large events surrounding the government plays out unnoticed. I can't believe Bush will serve out his full term, and make a graceful exit. Something isn't right.

Oh America, I'm afraid for you. I really am. I know that Canada will be right behind when you start circling the drain, and I really hope you can pull yourself out, but what little distance we have between us I am truly grateful for. I've been listening to the This American Life podcasts regarding your economy, and it scares me to my core. We have a bit more security here, and a LOT less crap and corruption in our markets. It won't inexplicably save us, but it'll delay the inevitable. Maybe it'll give me enough time to collect what I own and move to some incredibly uninvolved European country. Norway? Sweden? Findland perhaps? How far can one get on crappy Canadian english a the slightest hit of a remote understanding of French?

That pretty much sums it up - the world is screwed. But I did my part to select who'll be the ones doing the dirty work.



-Cril

We've taken all you've given
But it's gettin' hard to make a livin'
Mr. president have pity on the working man

We're not asking you to love us
You may place yourself high above us
Mr. president have pity on the working man

I know it may sound funny
But people ev'ry where are runnin' out of money
We just can't make it by ourself

It is cold and the wind is blowing
We need something to keep us gong
Mr. president have pity on the working man

Maybe you've cheated
Maybe you've lied
Maybe you have lost your mind
Maybe you're only thinking 'bout yourself

Too late to run. too late to cry now
The time has come for us to say good-bye now
Mr. president have pity on the working man
Mr. president have pity on the working man

Randy Newman - Mr. President


That song is so eerily relevant...

No comments: