Sunday, January 18, 2009

And so it goes

Oh man, what a nice week. Weather-wise in particular. The sun is out and you can walk around in a sweater. Of course, things are melting during the day and freezing overnight - the sidewalks are caked in ice. It made the walk to and from church very treacherous.

In other news, I watched the Battlestar Galactica premiere (spoilers ahead). Man, is that show brutal - I can't believe they killed Dee. That scene was so powerful and well done. In the moment you totally didn't see it coming, but when you connect the dots through the rest of the episode it all makes sense. They are so good and ripping the heart out of the viewer and giving it a good squeeze. On the flip-side, though, the fact that Helen is the #5 makes the opposite feeling. I was personally gunning for Billy, but I doubt it would happen. Helen was my other guess and I think it worked out well. There's something comforting about the concept of such a relationship transcending time and a normal lifespan. Mind you, there's the whole other bucket of fish that is Starbuck and the 13th tribe being actual Cylons, but... That's BSG for you. I think it went well, I'm stoked to see how the rest of the series pans out. I wonder when the podcast will get updated...

I received an information package from ACAD this week. I'm feeling good about it... I think. I still need to really decide what program I want to do (Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Design?), and at the precise moment I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around what the differences between the two are. I'll give it another solid look later this week when I have more active braincells.

One thing is for sure, though - this ain't gunna be cheap (surprise surprise). Regardless of the program, all students take the same first year studies. By bombing through the promo material I got, it looks like expenses just for the first year of school will be in the $8000 range. Which... Is pretty steep, methinks. I mean, I'm still planning on getting student loans and poking around for whatever bursaries I can nab, but still... I thought I had a solid chunk of money saved up, but it won't last long at all at that rate. With rent and a handful of other expenses... I'm probably looking at close to ~$15,000 a year.

I also need to figure out how classes are structured, and whether or not working part-time is feasible if I want to maintain decent grades. Then comes into question whether or not bringing my car over and putting in the road would be a worth-while investment. And if gas prices continue to rise (like you know they will) driving will become more expensive, and public transit will most likely follow.

Speaking of monies, I've bought a new 20" LCD monitor to replace the old CRT and new 5.1 speakers to replace the small satellites I had. Ugh. Do I enjoy these new toys? Most definitely? Was it really necessary? Could I have gotten by without them? Probably... Hrmph. Ah, Buyer's Remorse - I know thee well. Now leave me the hell alone, please.



-Cril

And there has always been laughing, crying, birth, and dying
Boys and girls with hearts that take and give and break
And heal and grow and recreate and raise and nurture
But then hurt from time to times like these
And times like those
And what will be will be
And so it goes

Jack Johnson - Times Like These

2 comments:

Eric said...

Bigger speakers are better able to drown out the thump-thump from the stupid neighbours. If only :-)

E

Crilix said...

Go go gadget subwoofer!

Wasn't there a heist movie where the team setup next door to a bank, and took a few days to secretly drill through the wall into the safe itself?

Maybe we could do something similar but make off with a certain neighbor's sound system instead...
-Cril