Monday, February 23, 2009

Can’t wait to taste them isotopes!

You know how every once and a while you look at yourself at work and wonder... What the hell am I doing? Am I really capable of doing this, and doing it well and efficiently? Y'know, the standard insecurities and doubts shtick. Well, I found out today that maybe I wasn't so bad off. We received an order from one of our suppliers in Taiwan today, and inside were three copies of their basic catalogue. It was a simple, 11x17 flyer folded in half. There was some bad Photoshop effects, poor images, and general lack-luster design. But that wasn't the worst of it. Oh no - that prize goes to the misspelled URL on the cover. At the top AND bottom. Due to the two totally different errors. At the top it read "www.company.com", while it was supposed to be "www.company.com.tw". Someone went through with a blue ballpoint pen and added the ".tw" with a little carrot. At the bottom, it read "www.company.copm.tw". Again in that plain ol' blue pen, ".copm.tw" was crossed out and corrected with ".com.tw". These changes were made to every. Single. Flyer. Wowza, that had got to suck. Not only for the person who made the mistake, but for the poor soul who had to manually correct every piece. And if they were the same person? Well, that must've been a bunch of really crappy days.

Don't get me wrong - I'm far from some kind of authority on design and I don't claim to truly push the boundaries and excel in my profession. But it's nice to know that I wasn't the one to mess up something that obvious twice. This time, at least.



Battlestar Galactica was kinda mediocre this week. It was a bit of a Cylon soap opera. Mind you, I can't necessarily blame them - how could you possibly live up to the last few episodes that have been an absolute roller coaster ride? It may be getting near the end, but I suppose it covered significant ground and provided a rest from the action. What the heck does Baltar plan to do with all those guns though?

I was going to write about something else here, but I started and it rapidly unwound like a ball of yarn. The kitten in my mind is still toying with it, and it looks like it'll take a while to get untangled. I saved it as a draft, so hopefully I'll get back to it this week.

That is, if the new TF2 update doesn't swallow me whole. I cannot wait, the new unlockable sound like SO much fun. And the Force-A-Nature's page made me laugh - I really hope they release it as a poster. Then I'll have to figure out a way of getting something shipped to a US address before coming here - the Valve store only sends orders to Canada by FedEx. Hooray $30 shipping, plus a crappy currency conversion. The have so much stuff I could blow my money on though...

Speaking of TF2, I just finished playing an evening of it with my bro. We had a really good time. Nothing special happened until I switched to Medic - then we REALLY hit our stride. The two of us consistently got in the top three players of each round. At one point we were playing Sudden Death, and everyone on our team had died off except two Engineers and three Medics. This is not a winning combination for assaulting the final capture point, there were no offensive weapons between us. But the clock was ticking, so we went for it and rushed the remaining Engineer and Soldier on the other team. AND WE WON! Medics ubered the Engineers, who rushed and wrenched the hell out of the enemy sentry. Before we knew it, we were all on the point and keeping the Soldier at bay while we completed the cap. It was INCREDIBLE. Support classes FTW!

Anyways, it's once again past my bed time. Adios all.
-Cril

I'll keep working my way back to you, babe
With a burning love inside
Yeah, I'm working my way back to you, babe
And the happiness that died

I let it get away
Do-do, do-da, do
(Been paying every day)
Do-do, do-da, do

Four Tops - Working My Way Back to You

2 comments:

Frank said...

You have replaced me with your brother. Sigh...

Crilix said...

What? Never! We played some GTA and he brought a chopper over to pull me out of a hot zone. We had to stop and switch around so that I could fly instead.

No sir, you and I have our own secret recipe of awesome that no one else can duplicate. Just wait for those new Battlefield titles to land on PC. The online world will once again feel the hurt.
-Cril