Sunday, April 19, 2009

Call and Answer

When I went home last weekend I nabbed a CD I had burned some time ago that was full of miscellaneous documents. I forget why exactly I decided I needed to bring it back with me, but here it is. Old school assignments, chat logs, a .txt file full of quotations that had struck my fancy over the years, and other odds and ends. And then I stumbled on a bit of a treat - many, many moons ago (this particular file was created on June 30th, 2003), I'd ask a single question to my all my friends via MSN Messenger. A Question of the Week, if you will.

I forget why I started it - if I recall correctly, it was a partly to get to know better a girl I secretly liked. And even though nothing ever happened between said girl and I, I kept at it for 75 consecutive weeks. Looking at the list of answers and the corresponding names, I don't think there's a single person here that I'm still in touch with. It's actually kinda neat - you can watch the number of participants dwindle near the end as I fell away from my friends. I only had two people answering for the last twenty-eight weeks.

Anyways. I was thinking I'd start posting them just for kicks. I think another reason I did it in the first place was get a bit more exposure to other people's train of thought, and reading through still proves to be fascinating. So, without further ramblings, here's WEEK ONE!

#1) Do you fear death?
I: "Enough to try to avoid it."
R: "yah"
J: "i have no idea what its like so i dont know what to fear"
S: "hell no"
T: "Meh... I don't fear it as much as not want it to happen... I'm not scared of dying, yet I still want to do a lot while I'm still above ground"
L: "sure"
S: "i fear the boredom of eternity AFTER i die... but i don't fear death"
A: "Nope"
A: "most of the time no...but sumtimes yes"
S: "ok, then yeah"
C: "no"
L: "umm who doens't"
K: "of course not"
E: "not now, but I will if it gets any closer"
R: "Yes"
J: "I will face it with a smile"
P: "I don't fear either, but I do fear what will happen after I die"
N: "um... well, i dunno, cuz i dont wanna die, cuz i've got so much to live for and look forward too, but it would be a bonus to get to go to heaven already"
T: "nope. Death is where life truley begins"

I'll probably post one question every week - I might even do it mid-week, to double my posting rate at little-to-no extra effort. Feel free to chime in your answers, if so inclined.

In other news... ART!

Sketch123 copy

This one was done as a request: "a woman standing on a corner, hugging herself in a strong wind. She should be wearing a red dress and the sky behind her should be yellowish sunsetty. She should be wearing shades. Her hair should be dark and she should have pale skin. Perhaps a lamp post behind her. Buildings are not necessary."

I took some liberties, particularly with the skin and hair colour, but I think it worked out. Almost looks vector-y, even though it was all done with ye fine brushes on the tablet.

What else... Braid is an incredibly gorgeous game, but is devilishly hard. It requires the same mind-blowing, thinking-outside-of-the-box analysis like Portal did. It's pretty brutal, I'm not sure if I'll keep playing it or not.

There are a few more episodes left in this season of The Office, woo! The weather is sunny and (gasp!) warm, and you can the start of green things coming out of the ground. There's snow in the forecast later in the week, of course.

Today I did all my laundry and bedding, read a book, did some taxes, and went out for dinner. Huzzah. I don't think I've spent any significant time gaming this weekend, which is rather odd. Nothing seems to strike my fancy at the moment. Hmph.
-Cril

Listen
Listen
There's a lot you're liable to be missin'
Sing it
Swing it
Any old way and any old time

The hurdy-gurdies, the birdies, the cop on the beat
The candy maker, the baker, the man on the street
The city charmer, the farmer, the man in the moon
All sing Elmer's Tune

Glenn Miller Orchestra - Elmer's Tune

1 comment:

Frank said...

I need to tell you that even when you think you've finished Braid, you haven't.