Sunday, June 21, 2009

No love for tomorrow

Yaaay, I'm so glad the week is over. Booo, I'm so sad another one is about to start.

Finally got that ad submitted at work, which was nice to get out of the way. And no, I've yet to be replaced.

Uhrm... Started watching Joan of Arcadia. It doesn't hold up as well to how I remember it. Seems a bit too teen-angst-y. I'm only a few episodes in though, we'll see if it gets better. There are only two seasons, so it hopefully shouldn't be a massive waste of time to go through the whole thing.

I also started to watch Nurse Jackie, via Frank's suggestion. It's pretty good, like a decent balance between Scrubs and MASH. However... It feels like it's trying too hard to be edgy. The main character has so many flaws, it feels like they're just making her that way for the sake of doing so. We'll see. I'll give it a few more episodes.

What else... Saw Life is Beautiful again. It's been a while, but this one stood up very well to how I remember it. All around, it's just so well made. It'd be in my Top 5 list of movies, for sure.

Top Gear airs tonight! Apparently they'll reveal the identity of the Stig. I'm not sure if it'll be a hoax, completely absurd, or *gasp* serious. Can't wait - but I'll have to. It takes a while for new releases to download, but we should have it by this time tomorrow.

So much television/cinemetography. It's really getting to me. I simply don't enjoy sitting down to watch whatever's on - by the end I always feel unsatisfied and that I could've done something better with my time. I don't find it very relaxing or worth the time it takes to sit through an episode or movie. Don't get me wrong - I don't necessarily hate it. It's just that I really only enjoy movie or shows that I have some kind of connection with. I only watch things that strike a chord with me or that I'm passionate about. Watching some generic movie for the sake of watching a movie isn't that enticing. If I'm aiming to turn my brain off for a bit, video games are much more my poison. There's something to be said for trace amounts of interaction when being unproductive.

On a semi-related note, I spent three or four hours yesterday learning how to map in Left 4 Dead. For as much time as I've spent playing games, particularly those on the Source Engine, it's seems like a natural fit. My goal is to learn something new over the summer, and this might be it. I've got some of the basics down so far - there's still a LOT to learn, but I've dipped my toes in the water. It's surprisingly not as difficult as I had anticipated. Hopefully I can get a hold of floorplans for a location I'm familiar with, so I can be on familiar ground so to speak. It'll be a fun project.

It's kind of odd that I'm doing it in L4D. I haven't played in a while and it certainly isn't my fragging ground of choice. But the nature of gameplay suits what I want to do, and is a good place to start. It doesn't hurt that it's well documented too.

But, mind you... I've been spending a lot of time lately staring at the row of game shortcuts on the desktop. Nothing is really appealing to me at the moment. Yeah, I play a bit here and there to unwind or waste away some time... But nothing really gets me hooked. It serves its purpose, but I just have a hard time looking forward to it. I desperately want a new game to play. The problem is that there isn't anything good on the horizon. Sure, the closest thing is Arkham Asylum, but that comes out on August 25th. A whopping SIX days before I start school. I'll probably be too much of a nervous wreck to enjoy it.

And then school starts, and I'll be a busy nervous wreck. Which sucks, because between NFS Shift, The Saboteur, Assassin's Creed II, Beatles Rock Band, Modern Warfare 2, Starcraft 2, and a fistful of other titles, it certainly looks like it'll be a fantastic fall/winter for gaming. And I'll get to enjoy very little of it. Sigh. C'est la vie.

On another note, I emailed Codemasters:


Dear the fine folks at Codemasters,

Seriously, what gives? When will the 8-Ball expansion pack for Grid make it's way to the PC? I'm an absolute massive fan of Grid - I can't put it down, it's by far the best racing game I've ever played. And I want more. It's so unfair - why do the consoles get all the love, while your ever faithful and steadfast PC fans are left out in the cold? Common, show us some appreciation! You've left us wondering since early December, and not even the slightest shred of an idea regarding what's happening. Don't you trust us? We're kind, decent folk - honest!

Forever your Grid crack addict, eagerly waiting for the next hit he's willing to pay for...
-Chris


To which they replied...

I'm afraid we don't have a release date for release on PC at this moment in time, it should however still be released.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards
Jorn
Codemasters Customer Services


Wow, thanks guys. Yeah, that's so helpful. I can't wait for that expansion that's so obviously been unofficially canceled, so that customer support can't tell you that they don't care about PC gamers. Fantastic. Also, I emailed Gabe from Penny Arcade to ask how he does his textured backgrounds and people from Total Gaming Network to ask why I still haven't received prizes from a contest seven months ago.

Sketch190

I've yet to receive responses from either, and I sent my emails last weekend.
-Cril

We love in vain
Narcissistic and so shallow
The cops and queers
To swim you have to swallow
Hate today
No love for tomorrow
We're all stars now in the dope show
We're all stars now in the dope show
There's lots of pretty, pretty ones
Who want to get you high
But all the pretty, pretty ones
Will leave you low
And blow your mind

Marilyn Manson - The Dope Show

No comments: