Sunday, May 09, 2010

A Seventy-Dollar Summer

I've finished my first week of the semester. Yaaaay. If I'm not careful I'm going to fall behind - the Spring semester runs over two months instead of four, so classes are twice a week. I need to do my readings and keep a close eye on due dates. Probably wouldn't hurt to keep my notes up-to-date so that once exams roll around I'll be ready. I have a major history paper due in a month. Blah.

I had an interesting moment after leaving work yesterday. I pulled alongside a Nissan GT-R, and admired its lines and sheer presence. And for just the smallest fraction of a second I caught myself thinking, "Yeah, I could totally take him." The freedom of owning and operating your own car is one helluva drug. Judging by the way it effects my thought process, I may be more of a junkie than many. "SO HOW DID IT END?!" you demand while precariously sustaining what little balance you possess on the edge of your seat. Well, you'll be glad to know that the GT-R never stood a chance, and I totally pulled away from him. It might have something to do with the fact that it was parked and driverless, though.

Anyways, I've now got the first week of sketch-a-day under my belt, which is nice. It's good to be drawing on the computer again. Now that I've completed my first year of art school, I can say with total confidence:
computer>graphite>ink>conte>charcoal>painting
I've easily logged 70-100 hours with each of those over the last semester alone, so I think I have a good foundation to base this opinion on. And, of course, such a thing is a subjective. But I know where my bread is buttered, and BOY do I prefer drawing on the computer.

I saw Iron Man 2 yesterday. It's the first movie I've seen since the Christmas break, and the first time I've been in a Theatre since... Whenever Up came out. Iron Man 2 was a rather mediocre way to get back into watching movies again. Fairly underwhelming - some good visuals and action, and a few unique moments here and there... But it felt like it was trying to do too many things, and as a result the pacing was rather shot. The movie paused and lurched through the whole story, clumsily skipping over the obvious plot holes. Meh. The only movie I really want to see in theatre this summer is Inception, pretty much based on the fact that it's a Christopher Nolan film. Dunno if I'll actually go to see it, though. This leads into my next point:

It's a seventy-dollar summer. Over the course of the next four months, I don't want to spend any more than $70 on entertainment/non-essential purchases. Eating out, movies, games, etc. If I get into the Bachelor of Design next year, there is a very good chance that I won't be able to work at all. I really need to put the pinch on my wallet and only get the things that matter. Gotta save every penny I can. This disclaimer to this, though, is that I'm starting off the summer with a small purchase spread between some books and other odds and ends, which I will not count against the budget. They're things that I really desire, and I think will give me more fulfillment than a night out or another game. So we'll see. From here on out though, I think I'll keep a tally each time I post. I'll list what I've bought the past week, and the remaining balance of my $70.

My sister arrived yesterday, she's here to work for the summer. It's nice to have her around for sure, but I'm a bit frustrated by the fact that I'm going to school and short on money. I wish we could spend every Saturday on the town trying new and exciting things. Instead, it'll be whatever we can get to with my car that we don't have to pay for. Sigh.

Sketch6 copy

Who knows, maybe I'll be denied entrance into 2nd year and that'll make everything better. Yeah. That's it.
-Cril

Hallé Choir and Orchestra - Pavane

No comments: