Sunday, May 30, 2010

Snow Storm Sans the Alps

It's been snowing the past few days. Wet, sticky snow that collects a bit over night and then melts. It's May. Almost June. Bah, I have no particular fondness for Alberta weather.

So tonight, for the first time ever, I watched one of the Star Wars trilogy movies out of order, with absolutely no intent to directly follow it up with another one. Empire Strikes back just celebrated its 30th birthday, or something like that, and I had the sudden urge to watch it. So did. Vintage and original, un-molested version, of course (thanks, torrents!). What a great movie. So many small touches, the characters are so well written and acted. And you know what? Yes, you can tell that the special effects were dated. There were some obvious spots where you could tell a character was acting against a green screen, overlayed against other footage. But something about it seems more... Tangible. Not shiny and spectacular like the CG Lucas likes oh-so-much, but a bit grittier and imperfect. I loved every second of it. It must've been years since I last saw this movie. I was tempted to watch the whole trilogy, but New Hope is so campy and Return of the Jedi isn't quite as dark and epic. Empire Strikes Back is just done so... Well.

Just finished a art history research paper I had been slugging away at for the past three weeks. Not sure how well it turned out, I think the topic progression is a bit wonky and I'm not sure if I hit all the bases my prof will want to see. Hopefully I can make up for it with the exams. It's nice to have it out of the way, in any case.

Sketch23 copy

I just spent, like 4-5hours this weekend documenting and uploading my portfolio for the Bachelor of Design program. It's pretty much the best I have to offer, and I can't quite decide if that's a good thing or not considering what's in there. But we'll see.

In other news... I tried a bit of Need for Speed Shift and was disappointed that it wasn't Grid. It's a BIG step up from past NFS games, that's for sure, but I think that Grid was such racing sim nirvana that I'm having a hard time really appreciated Shift for what it's worth. I do like the upgradeability and customization, though, it gives you that extra sense of progression as you play. Just add that to Grid, and I'd be thrilled. Give it open-world sections with police chases, and I'd be over the moon.

Speaking of cars, my Integra is running a bit rough. It shudders in the 1000-2000 RPM range when a gear is engaged, and there's a constant high-pitched chirping sound. I really need to get it looked at. It's just so much more convenient now that the office has moved. I'll figure something out. It really worries me though. I love driving so much, and the thought that my car isn't as healthy as I'd like it to be really bothers me. Some day I'll have a new, flawless car. Some day.

I have half-a-dozen topics I keep in a to-do list of things I want to write about. But it's always a little to late in the evening and I'm a bit too tired to sit down and bang something significant out. Hopefully now that I have that big assignment out of the way and I can do some more writing. Er, other writing.
-Cril

So just say how to make it right
And I swear I'll do my best to comply

Postal Service - Nothing Better

No comments: