Sunday, June 06, 2010

Of Monetary Concerns

So, money. I hate it. But I don't think I'll ever get away from it, so I might as address it.

I just want to start off by saying that it is so nice to have a full-sized paycheck under my belt again. It was actually a bit bigger than it otherwise would be, due to the moving and trade-show shenanigans that allowed me to get in a bit of over time. I went and deposited it at the bank, and felt on top of the world. I figured I should celebrate and go buy some junk food or a new game or something. Instead, I didn't.

You see, the whole '$70 summer' seemed like a good idea at the time, but I should've done the math prior to committing to it, and firmly decided if gifts/birthday presents for other people would apply. I'm still not sure about that last one, but I did do the (very simple) math. $70 works out to $17.50 a month. That's not even $20. It breaks down even further to a whopping fifty-eight cents a day. That's a lot less than I anticipated at the outset.

But I guess you got to follow through with the things you commit to, right? Well, I'm just over a quarter of the way through summer, and I've spent a massive $10 on myself. Which would put me below budget - yay! If I count a birthday present I bought for someone, I've eaten up the budget for the rest of the month and a bit of the next - boo. So I'm not sure what to do. I think... I'm going to aim to have all entertainment expenses for the summer below $70. If go over on account of gifts, I won't sweat it too much. Probably.

It isn't all bad news, though. Glancing over my uber spreadsheet that keeps track of every penny that comes and goes, I am damn proud to announce that I've landed in the black for every month since January. That means while I was going to school full time and working part time I made enough to cover supplies, car and living expenses. Sure this statement would be void if I counted tuition (which I paid in December) or wasn't lucky enough to be getting an incredibly awesome deal on rent. Things got ugly in March though - my most intense month for school supplies and I needed to get my radiator replaced. Luckily enough my income tax return arrived, and everything worked out. Each month was close, I didn't actually save that much, but I'm just thrilled I didn't lose money.

So now I need to look forward to second year. For eight consecutive months I'd be taking 30hrs/week of classes, probably with another 50hrs of homework. There ain't no chance I'll be able to work enough (if at all...) to prevent many big, red numbers from littering my precious spreadsheet. So I did some research, and found out the total supply and tuition costs. I reviewed the last year, and found an average for living costs. All told, eight months of schooling and non-working wcould run me about $14,625.28.

I should to decide if I need to apply for loans or not. I think... I think I'll go for broke, and empty the bank. Between my savings, selling my old car, and a small education fund my parents have for me, I think I can do it. And if I be anal about applying for scholarships and whatnot, that should help too. Can I get through half of my education without school loans? LET'S FIND OUT.

Heh, "go for broke". I guess in this context that phrase becomes uncannily appropriate and almost disturbingly literal.

Of course, the one thing I can do to knock that $15,000 figure down a few pegs is to ditch the car. It costs me $268.41 a month, and will run me $2147.28 for eight months. But you know what? I cannot give it up. Sure, I can justify it as a necessity for getting to/from class. It's more than that, though. I just got the alternator belt replaced, an oil change, and new summer tires. My car purrs (as much as a 1.8L 4-banger can), and with a full tank of gas the possibilities are endless. Quite frankly, it automatically puts me in a good mood. After getting my tuned-up car from the mechanic and feel it rev and pull so cleanly, the world immediately transformed into a better place. I love driving so, so much and I can't imagine going without it. $270 a month though... It's an expensive addiction, I can't argue that.

Sketch32 copy

Anyways. It was this day in 1944 when something happened that defined 'epic', and at the cost of some 15,000 lives. Don't forget it.
-Cril

There comes a time when you swim or sink
So I jumped in the drink
'Cause I couldn't make myself clear

Maybe I wrote in invisible ink
Oh I've tried to think
How I could have made it appear

Aimee Mann - Invisable Ink

No comments: