Monday, August 02, 2010

Persistance of Memory

I just got back from a Family Reunion that happened this weekend. It was... Interesting. Aside from my immediate family (Grandparent, uncles/aunts, cousins), I can't say I remembered any faces. Well, I vaguely recalled a great uncle and aunt, but that was about it. This reunion was in the same location as one I went to fifteen years ago. It was pretty surreal. I didn't remember faces or names so much as... Snippets. I recalled watching The Lion King in the house, playing in the sandpit, and fetching some alcohol when I was really after some pop. Is that normal? Do people usually remember places and things rather than names and faces?

Anyways. I was sitting at work, plugging away at some website content. Got to Get You Into My Life (by the Beatles, of course) popped up on my iPod. I love the wind instruments in the song. A bit of trumpet fanfare backed up by a repeated theme on the sax. At near the end, everything fades out and back in around a quick guitar solo. So I have musical reasons for having it in my collection. But I was sitting there, something was niggling at the back of my brain. Like I had an itch in my memory. So as I tend to do so well, I sat there and scratched it. I pulled up some window that made it look like I was waiting for a file to save while I sat at my desk and pondered this song. I didn't even know what I was looking for. But whatever it was, it wouldn't come. So I got up to fetch some stock from the warehouse, and BAM! GRAPE JELLY ON RICE CAKES!

No, seriously. That's what I was searching for. Waaaay back when I lived on the northern BC coast, I listened to that song from my dad's collection (I can picture the cassette tape in my head right now) while eating a rice cake slathered in grape jelly. Back then I was allergic to lots of things. Wheat, potato, corn, yeast, milk, you name it. But not rice. So I ate a lot of rice in its various forms, including cakes. And grapes, being one of the few fruits I was simply less allergic to, I'd have as jam. I don't even remember liking the stuff, to be honest. But I guess you have to go with what you got. Also attached to that memory is looking out of the smallish dining room window as it rained, watching water pour downhill on the dirt road. I may have even been wearing hand-socks (for those of you less knowledgeable with such fine garments, when I was a wee kid I used to wear socks on my hands when my skin was particularly bad. Something about covering up the nastier spots felt more comfortable. It's probably why I usually stick to long sleeves or seldom wear sandles to this day).

DSC07341

So the obvious question is... Why? This memory seemed to be dropped on me like a ton of bricks. And the sudden fascination with uncovering it when that song played, I couldn't just put it out of my mind until I had it figured out. And why did it come to my mind then? My iTunes library says I've already listened to it some 70 times. Does it have some kind of meaning for whatever I'm doing now? Is it just because I was about to leave for the family reunion anyways? It really, truly baffles me.

This weekend that great uncle I semi-recall told me about the last reunion at that place, in 1995. I wouldn't have even been 10 by that age. He said he remembers how bad my skin was, and how it broke his heart to see how much it tormented me.

But what does it all mean? It's kinda funny - hearing my great uncle tell it to me like that kinda broke my heart a little bit too.
-Cril

I was alone, I took a ride,
I didn't know what I would find there
Another road where maybe I could see another kind of mind there

Ooh, then I suddenly see you,
Ooh, did I tell you I need you
Every single day of my life

You didn't run, you didn't lie
You knew I wanted just to hold you
Had you gone, you knew in time, we'd meet again
For I had told you

Ooh, you were meant to be near me
Ooh, and I want you hear me
Say we'll be together every day

Got to get you into my life

What can I do, what can I be,
When I'm with you I want to stay there
If I'm true I'll never leave
And if I do I know the way there

Ooh, then I suddenly see you,
Ooh, did I tell you I need you?
Every single day of my life

Got to get you into my life
Got to get you into my life

I was alone, I took a ride,
I didn't know what I would find there
Another road where maybe I could see another kind of mind there

Then suddenly I see you,
Did I tell you I need you?
Every single day...

Beatles - Got to Get You Into My Life

No comments: