Sunday, August 15, 2010

Playin' with this bow and arrow

I just went for another run. I don't know why, but I did. And you know what? This exercise thing kinda works. My breathing and stamina were significantly better this time around than last week. It's rather surprising how much of an improvement there was, even considering I'm only out there for a half hour or so. Maybe there's something to this whole "getting in shape" thing you keep hearing about these days.

Summer is winding down, and it's like a weight on my shoulders. Pressing harder and harder with each day. So much to do. At work I'm in charge of merging content from one, larger website into an existing smaller one. It's straight forward - there are some bugs and hiccups along the way, but you learn to recognize and tiptoe around most of the pitfalls. The work itself is easy. But it's too easy. Incredibly monotonous and boring, even to the part where I find myself falling asleep. So I've found a secret weapon - WATCHING TV LOLOLOLOL. Once everyone leaves for the day and it's just me left, I put some Daily Show/Colbert Report on one monitor, and chug away. And I kid you not, it feels like my productivity jumps through the roof. It's probably one part keeping my brain stimulated/alert and one part working extra hard to offset the guilt of watching TV while I'm on the clock. But the last two or three days I've done this I've moved incredible amounts of data over. I can't believe how effective it is. It's keeping me distracted from the fact that I'm otherwise bored out of my mind or tired or overwhelmed by all the other crap I need to get done once I get home.

Speaking of which, I've knocked one thing off my list - hackintoshing my laptop. Just completed that today. It took me a good three or four hours, but most of that involved figuring out how VMWare ticks. If something is royally screwed up and I have the need to do it all over, I could probably accomplish it in under an hour. It's surprisingly simple. Mind you, I've used OSX for all of ten minutes. Enough to find out that my wifi works (yay!) but not my sound (boo!). There's probably a lot of other troubleshooting to do, and I'll need to install some standard Adobe programs to see if they work at all. But to be honest... I have zero interest in using it. I just couldn't care less - I have it installed, can I just forget that it's there?

Actually, this is the case for my whole laptop. I don't like it. Well, I do like it. It's a great unit, and I can't wait to laser it and put it to good use once I start school. But maybe it's the old grumpy man in me, but I don't like having a laptop. It's definitely a useful contraption, but... I like my computer. Two big screens, a proper keyboard and mouse, etc etc. I dunno. Just the concept of owning a laptop fails to excite me.

I'm in desperate need of new jeans and shoes. My shoes are being held together by no less than 4 different kinds of tape at the moment. But I cannot describe the absolute empty void for where my enthusiasm for shopping is stored. I can't even stand buying stuff online these days. So much crap is peddled to my face, so little of it I actually want. I don't care if it's for games or technology or toys or tools, there isn't a store I want to go to right now. I checked out the Lego store the other week, just because I've never seen one before. Neat place. The idea of going into a mall with the intent of spending money makes me want to vomit, however.

My brother is in the process of shopping for cars. I'm terrible at car shopping - I always do it in too much of a hurry. But I find it kinda fun. There are so many POSSIBILITIES. Sure, sifting through classifieds and different sites can be rather tedious, but there's something about entertaining the idea of a new car you stumble across. Opportunities investigated and passed, and opportunities seized that leave you wondering what if? Remind me, I should tell you about a certain BMW 325IS some time.

One of the only two air-worthy Avro Lancasters was in Calgary the other day. Its flightpath for landing at the airport was directly over the office. My word, what a gorgeous sight and soul-shaking sound. You see something like that, and you know that you just witnessed something special. Something you'll never forget. Such a beastly, yet elegant, image. Seeing something like that really alters the foundation of your being. It's the kind of thing best left to the poets and dreamers of the world to describe. But it certainly makes you wonder what it would've been like to see formations with hundreds of Lancasters flying overhead. The sound must've been incredible. And now there's only two left.

Sketch81 - S is for Spitfire

Anyways, that's all I got for now. I've actually completed all my ABC's, but I have quite the backlog to post to Flickr. I'm getting near the end of my goal for 100 sketches by the end of summer, but now that the alphabet project is done it feels like I've lost a lot of steam. How frusterating. I'm this close to not having to draw for the rest of the summer. And then I start again in three weeks. Yeehaw.
-Cril

From this time unchained
We're all lookin' at a different picture
Through this new frame of mind
A thousand flowers could bloom
Move over and give us some room, yea

Portishead - Glory Box

No comments: