Sunday, October 23, 2011

Twenty-Six Thousand Tonnes More

Well, crap. I just made the mistake of having a quick 40min nap. I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open at my desk while trying to get some homework done, so I crashed on the floor. Not only has this completely absorbed some work time, but it is going to come back around and bite me in two or so hours, when I decide to sleep. "Sleep?" my brain will say, "Ha ha ha! You foolish human! Your brief rest means you will not need to sleep until two hours from when you need to get back out of bed!" Argh. It happens every. Single. Time.

In other news, I've this last week I've been chatting with El Coworker some more, which has guaranteed any escape from my recent funk. So I press onwards, as my scumbag brain insists on analyzing far more than I think it was ever meant to. It's rather (mentally) exhausting, and insures me a perpetual state of uncomfortableness.

It was kinda funny, actually. On Saturday (which was yesterday, apparently) I was in the studio by myself, and my motivation lost a fight with distraction. Said uncomfortableness finally got a bit too intense, and so I decided to flee the city. Packed up, went to the car, and waded through traffic on the way to the highway. I merged, and alas, I was free! Until I reached the edge of town, that is, where there was an accident that had my spontaneous escape route backed up. So I took and exit and turned around to go back the way I came... And lo and behold, the first exit I found on my way back was what I needed to take to get to my place. So I gave up, and went home. It was more than a little discouraging, but also amusing. It's funny when you freak out and try to make a break for it, and then the universe shouts back, "SCREW YOU, HAHAHAHA!"

Bomb Omb Battlefield (Sketch-61)

So I went home and finally finished Deus Ex Revolution. Good game. The ending felt a little... Anticlimactic in a way. I wasn't really happy with how some of the ending choices were handled. Still, the whole thing was fun and the story was pretty solid. I mainly relied on stealth, so I can't quite say how the gunplay was. One thing I missed from the original, though, was how you could improve practically every part of your character, from aiming stabilization to how well you swam. The aiming, in particular, really gave you a solid sense of progressing as a character. In the beginning of the game, you were stuck with crosshairs that would sway all over the place, and each time you improved your ability (that even broke down into small, medium, and heavy arm proficiency), it was immediately noticeable and wildly satisfying. Alas, I haven't played the original DE in many many years, so these may be the recollections of a ~15 year old boy that are masquerading as some sort of rational thought.

Ugh, I'm running on not nearly enough sleep. Too many late nights. Seems like I'm constantly fighting with the need to rest. And I don't know what it is about this semester, but I just can't seem to get myself out of bed on time when the alarm goes off. I usually sleep for another half-hour, before I get up and run out of the house. Once I slept in for an hour. I still don't know how I made it to class on time that day.

Bleh, I'm feeling out of it. Time to go homeworkize. And than lay down my bones into my bed and do anything but sleep.
-Cril

The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
And a wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the captain did too
'Twas the witch of November come stealin'
The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
When the Gales of November came slashin'
When afternoon came it was freezin' rain
In the face of a hurricane west wind.

Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

No comments: