Monday, February 16, 2015

Something Tells Me

On Friday I left the office around 4 because being a long weekend, we get let off a bit early. I stopped on the way home to wash of the car (which is now looking quite lovely with the absence of the brown slush muck white salt crap all over it. I love it.

Anyways, upon arriving home, I found that my new computer case had been delivered, which was the last (and one of the more crucial pieces) I was waiting on. I then proceeded to mount the processor and fan before calling it an evening. That was the plan, at least. Instead I spent the next seven hours mounting everything to everything else. I didn't even stop to eat.

Eventually it was all ready to go, and I was reminded what a pain in the ass computers are/can be. Unbeknownst to me, upon the first time I hit the almighty power button my new machine proceeded to work exactly as it should. Instead, though, I was slightly confused as to the motherboard's built in display and odd boot up sequence and thought I was having an issue. After eliminating all the variables and 3-4 calls to tech support (EVGA guys are pretty chill and easy to get ahold of), I was ready to RMA. That's when the phone tech informed me that everything was working as it should.

Well then. I wish I would've known that BEFORE removing my aftermarket cooler, cleaning and remounting the processor with the stock cooler. Oh well, at least it's not broke and it only took two days to get it all sorted out.

So that night I had dinner with some friends, so I hastily installed windows and Steam and set it to download Assassin's Creed Black Flag (which I've only been dying to play for the last two years...). Got home that night, confirmed that it all downloaded, then went to bed.

It was like being a kid on Christmas morning - I was this close to getting out of bed at 6AM. On a Sunday. And then when I did get up (at a healthier 8:30), I forced myself to accomplish half a dozen tasks around the house before booting up the computer. I plowed through them in half an hour and jumped in game. Then the long weekend disappeared in a rum-swillin', broad-sidin' haze of sails, sharks, and treasure maps.

On one hand, let me just say that Black Flag is very well done. Gorgeous, well-written, absurdly fun. The only thing it's lacking is a soundtrack by Hans Zimmer (although, no disrespect to the sea shanties, which are great).

On the other hand, it's kinda scary how all my self-control seemed to have utterly evaporated. I've spent about 20 of the last 36 hours huffing the e-sea's salty fumes. I've skipped ('missed' might be a slightly more accurate word...) about three meals. I haven't left the house today despite the (reportedly) nice weather outside, I haven't picked up the mandolin, and I haven't even started moving over my data to the new machine. In a nutshell, I told myself I was only going to play until noon today. But 12 turned to 1, turned to 2, turned to 6. Good grief.

I'm totally stoked to have a computer, but this is going to be a great lesson in self-control for me. I think the problem is that I haven't been in this type of a situation (no obligations on a long weekend with a gaming machine on hand) in a solid 5 years or so. Kinda scary.

But I've smiled a lot today (and the day before), so it can't be all bad.
-Cril

Woke up this morning feelin' fine
There's something special on my mind
Last night I met a new girl in the neighborhood, whoa yeah
Something tells me I'm into something good
(Something tells me I'm into something)

Herman's Hermits - I'm Into Something Good

No comments: