Monday, October 16, 2006

Screw EA

So. In the latest CGW podcast, they received retail boxed copies of BF 2142.

When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware shit. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too).


That was from here.

Now... I understand ingame ads. When they're done properly, that is. I'm fine with the developers pimping some empty texture space to sponsors for a little $$ on the side. Sure, fine. It makes some games feel more realistic, even. I didn't mind it in games like Underground 2, where you see billboards for the companies you're tricking out your ride with. It's cool, it made sense. No problem.

But spyware? No thanks, EA. I was probably going to fork over a good $50 to buy your model and sound pack that is 2142. I put up with the crappy two heliplanes, horribly wussy mechs, a retarded HOVER tank that doesn't work on water, mediocre infantry weapons, and a generally weak 'futuristic' theme. I tried, and you had me. But you lost me at the part where you decided that because I PAID YOU $50, it was grounds to look over my shoulder. You stepped over the line there. You're a giant, and quite frankly you probably don't care for a single one of your customers. We're all suckers to you for buying the games that really outta be patches. So when I say that I'm not going to spend any money on you and your game, you're not going to care. At all. But I feel like I'm standing up against something that is... How to put it delicately... WRONG. I know this'll never be read by anyone relevant to the issue, and you'll sit comfortably in your comfy executive chair without noticing the loss of $50 from your fat wallet. Or maybe you do, but you simply don't care. That might as well be the case.

There's probably a few others like me. I hope I'm not a lone fanatic with rediculously high morals. I admit - I wanted Battlefield 2142 despite it's flaws. And now I don't.

GG EA.
-Cril

I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay, 'cause so are you
We've broken our mirrors (We broke our mirrors)
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care
And I'm not scared
Light my candles in a daze
'Cause I've found God
Hey, hey, hey...

The Polyphonic Spree

No comments: