Sunday, July 13, 2008

Picasa-crap

Looks like I've gone over my total image limit in Flickr, and they want me to pay or or they'll bust my kneecaps. To escape this, I've been fartzing around with Picasa this pass week. 1GB of free space? Compatible with Blogger? Sounds good! But the more I use it... The more I discover that it is pretty inferior to Flickr in every way (except for the 'for free' part). Turns out it isn't compatible with Blogger, and that when you upload an image to your blog, it just dumps it in a Picasa folder. There isn't any great features for doing it the other way around. Argh, I'll have to rethink the $25/yr Flickr subscription, even though I don't need/want any features aside from more files.

During the week, I have fried TWO video cards. How? By not even touching them. I was at work plugging away at a project when the display just died. I didn't even do anything significant - it just stopped working. Luckily we had a spare vid card on hand, and I swapped it out. The other card... Is the one in my machine. Dunno why, but all of the sudden my system hangs and displays all sorts of flashing multi-coloured patterns when I play a game for longer than 5-10mins. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare video card in hand. So I ordered two 9600GTs, and I'll throw them into SLI mode. Not bad for $200. On the plus side, the 7800GT still works fine for normal Windows tasks.

I got in on the new iPod Touch 2.0 firmware upgrade. Through less than official means. I mean, really, it's $10 so you can spend more money on applications. I guess I wouldn't mind spending the cash so much if a) Other iPhone devices didn't get this upgrade for free and b) They just lowered the price of the iPhone to $50 cheaper than the iPod I just bought. What a load of crap. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I like the iPod device itself, but I hate the company and policies behind it. Screw you, Apple.

Ugh, I think that's all for now. If you wanna see some of my laser-engraving goodness, head this way. If you want some art, head down. If you want to send me your money... Head to your desk and write me a check.



-Cril


With life just begun, my sleeping new son
Has eyes that roll back in his head
They flutter and dart, he slows down his heart
And pictures a world past his bed
Its hard to believe
As I watch you breathe
Your mind drifts and weaves

When you dream,
What do you dream about?
When you dream,
What do you dream about?
Do you dream about
Music or mathematics
Or planets too far for the eye?
Do you dream about
Jesus or quantum mechanics
Or angels who sing lullabies?

Barenaked Ladies - When You Dream

1 comment:

Frank said...

Also, any newly bought iPod will have the 2.0 software on it. The whole thing is a racket.