Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crashing in my little world

Oh, Sunday nights. Sync up the iPod, write up another post, and watch something while you try and settle down for the impending work week. Huzzah.

I played Crysis week before last, I borrowed it from my uncle. Which, by the way, says right on the disk that it's an disallowed activity. Riiiight. Anyways the game was alright - the story was fairly standard, but the maps were pretty epic and layed out well. There was a good sense of freedom. The vehicles never really did anything for me though. The suit could be pretty fun, it gave you many ways to mess with the enemy. The high-point of the game was when you faced off against similarly powered enemies in a cat and cloaked-mouse-with-a-shotgun-firing-at-your-face. The cloak was pretty cheap at times, but worse yet were the helicopters which could magically track you regardless of being underwater, hidden, cloaked, or a combination of all three. It was fairly lame. As was the end boss fight and the alien complex level. The prior was just kind of simplistic and the latter was just annoyingly directionless with poor level design mixed in. Ah well, the game had its moments.

And this week I watched Run Lola Run, an interesting German flick. It had a great premise and was very unique. Parts of it seemed to be chopped up and disconnected, but it retained a great deal of charm. I also finished Lawrence of Arabia, of which I'll say it has a slow beginning, stung out middle and disappointing ending. And a really really overly-epic score. The film didn't do much for me.

And I also watched the 2hr Heroes Premiere. It was convoluted, and watching the entirety of The 4400 in between seasons has successfully destroyed my appetite for the show. Frank's expressions says it all. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching.

The Office premiere was solid, though. Not a hugely awesome episode, but it's made of the same good stuff that watch the show for.

And now for the big news, my new computer has been ordered. It came to $950ish, but much of that was shipping/insurance and there's some rebates on top of it all. Here's the specifics:

RAM: Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-T Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33GHZ
CPU cooling: Scythe Katana 2
Case & Power: Antec P182 & Truepower Trio 650W

It should be a screamer. I'm a lil' concerned about the mobo - I did some more reading after I placed the order and it seems like it's a finicky piece of hardware. Apparently Asus is doing a good job of supporting it, though, and a BIOS update should iron out the wrinkles. So now it's a waiting game. Back everything up, get all my ducks in a row, then assemble it all after it arrives. It gives me jitters thinking about building a new system from scatch. It should be fun though.

Look! Art!



I did this for my mom who works at a Library. I rather like how it turned out for some reason. Especially the running book.

It never ceases to amaze me how much I can write without saying anything. Hmph. Maybe I'll try to make a future post about the upcoming federal election. That might be slightly more meaningful.

Ugh, I am so not looking forward to the next five days...
-Cril

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence

No comments: