Sunday, September 07, 2008

Yellow Brick Road

Hrm. I just finished watching Life on Mars today. I gotta say, as a whole, it wasn't too bad. The characters and story were pretty solid, but there were some repetitive parts that got on my nerves after a while. Main the will-they-won't-they bit that got predictable, and how Ray had a chip on his shoulder. The ending was... Pretty unique, however. It wasn't quite what I expected, and I can see how it can be interpreted differently. I guess it had all the bases covered, and added a good mix of thought-provoking controversy. And yet, it left me not quite satisfied. On the whole though, I think I rather enjoyed the series. I wish more TV shows only lasted two or three seasons. Scrubs and Smallville, to name a few that have jumped the shark too long ago and could've really gained from a clearer criteria.

Moving on to moving literally. I picked up and changed residences this weekend - I was kinda how surprised how it all came together quickly. Within about a week everything was finalized, and I'm not moved in. Huh. Funny how that works. Makes me wonder how many more times over the course of my life I'll do it again. What an ugly thought.

Oh, I've also finished Beyond Good and Evil this weekend. IT was a good game - I'm not quite sure if it's as good as everyone raves it to be, but I enjoyed it. It had some good story telling, and a very intriguing setting. I think I'll sign up for the sequel, if/when it comes. I gotta say though - the combat was pretty solid. It may have been kinda simple, but I always felt in control and able to direct my attacks where I wanted to. That part, I think, was done very well. We'll see what comes down the line, I'd love to see where the story goes.

Here's some art:



I know it's rather simple and plain, I did it last thing Friday night before I packed up the computer. I rather like the dude's expression.

Quick video game blurb. I've ran out of games to play, at the moment. Nothing really grabs my attention. I might be tempted to play some more Test Drive Unlimited, but my controller kinda broke, and I can't consistently steer to the right. Also, it's very annoying how you need to drive around to 'discover' races and such. But that's okay, all is forgiven because HOLY CRAP I'll have my hands full this fall/winter. Lots of good games coming... At least five games within a month that I'm interested in. Okay, priorities:

1) LEFT 4 DEAD. Cannot wait. Do want.
2) Need for Speed Undercover. Yeah, yeah - the last two were horrible and my controller is broken. I still have high hopes for this one. As much as I enjoyed Grid, an arcadey racer is still good fun. Especially if you can customize the hell out of your car.
3) Mirror's Edge. Gotta hand it to EA - it looks like a truly original and unique title. I think I'll want to at least try a demo first.
4) GTA4. I wanna see what all the fuss is about. I get the impression that the multiplayer will be good.
Plus...
Crysis Warhead. If it's cheap ($30) I might get it for kicks
Red Alert 3. I've fallen off the RTS horse, but C&C3 was so good this is tempting.
CoD5. I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat, but I'm not 100% sure how Treyarch will handle this one. We'll see what the reviews are like.
Also, Spore doesn't quite pique my interest.

Ugh, so many games. We'll have to see how things unravel. If there is one thing that's for-sure, L4D is getting preordered on Steam the second it's available. And now amigos, it's off to bed. I need to take the bus to work in the morning!
-Cril

Maybe you'll get a replacement
There's plenty like me to be found
Mongrels who ain't got a penny
Sniffing for tidbits like you on the ground

So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

Elton John - Beyond the Yellow Brick Road

No comments: