Thursday, February 16, 2006

I hate the Olympics.

Okay, maybe 'hate' is too strong of the word. I just don't like the Olympics that much. Why? First off, the amount of money spent on them. The opening ceremonies alone were ridiculous. Sure, the choreography was really impressive. The guys blading around with fire shooting out of their heads was neat. But was it really worth the millions, nay billions spent of it? It was unarguably cool to watch, but it the long run... Could we use that money to, I dunno... Feed some starving children or something? Seriously, I kind of find that retarded.

Second, I hate the competition. It's great that the whole world is coming together to participate and blah blah blah, but it seems that 90% of the athletes arrive with high hopes and leave with crushed ones. You see too many people looking depressed after they've just botched their routine or race. It's fun to root for an athlete, and he ends up losing, and now has a whole disappointed country to go home to. That has got to SUCK. You saved up, worked your butt of trying to get there, arrive and LOSE. That's it. The end. Oh, I went to the Olympics, but I didn't win anything. But the experience was worth it, right? Suuure. You hear it time and time again that athletes train and go not so they can say they went, but to win gold. Not silver, not bronze, not fourth or sixth or nineteenth or last.

Then there's the competition between nations. Okay, so it's cool to have a moment in which a whole country can rally behind a single person or team. I admit it was freakin' FUN watching the Men's Hockey at Salt Lake last time, but why? It was because we were beating the United States, that's why. Our neighbour and 'rival'. It felt good to win. They overshadow us the rest of the time, but it's nice to see we can still beat them at a few things. But that's how it is: We want to beat them. All the slander and dirt talk between nations over a GAME. It creates a lot of tension, doesn't it? Why should it be like this? We even keep tally on what country has the most meddles! Now it's not a competition over single matches, but the whole freakin' Olympic event! Jeepers. It makes me sick, it really does. But hey, at least here it isn't resulting is war, economic sanctions, or Danish cartoons. Everything's put to the side for a bit.

Then there are the drug scandles, dishonest judges and people being disqualified for cheating. It shouldn't be that serious, should it? I know it's probably differant to those involved, but isn't it just a game?

I suppose there are a few good things from the Olympics. The chance to have most countries of the world meet and enjoy a few weeks together is good. Although the 'triumph of the human spirit' is mostly a load of CRAP, there are a few exceptions. Something like the Norweigan coach helping the Canadian skiers win silver is really a heart-warming example of kindness. I also heard about an Athlete from Chad who got up and told the world that he was donating all of his winnings to charity for his country, and challenged sponsors to do likewise. Sure, Nike decided to meet his amount in merchandise (What good are sneakers made by sweatshop children going to help other starving children?), but it's good to see some aid. The other good example is the Chinese figure skating pair who soldiered on after an accident to win silver. It looked really nasty, but the female really pulled herself together to deliver a great performance. I was impressed.

A few, really great occurences that made you think "Yeah, this is what the world needs more of." But overall... Too much negetivity between countries and participants. A LOAD of needlessly spent cash. Cheating, crushed dreams, and tears. Not quite worth it, in my opinion. But that's all this is - my opinion.

In other fronts, I went out and bought "Command & Conquer - The First Decade" last night in the snow-blowing -30c weather. It's quite the deal for a C&C lover like myself. That is, if you happen to have Windows XP. That's beginning to become a pet peeve of mine: Developers who don't bother to make a game Windows 200 compatible when it's made for WinXP. They're incredibly similar! Why are people so retarded as to not spend a bit of time making sure something works for the Win2K population?! I'm no programmer, but it can't be that hard! Jeez. Another dumb thing about this release is that you need to enter a key for every. Single. Game. And. Expansion. Ugh... considering I already put a key in for the overall DVD itself, that seems to be a waste of my time. Ugh. I hope there's a hack out there to get it working...

I made myself a new Cowboy Bebop avatar and sig. I don't know if I should replace my old avatar and sig... I haven't been using them too terribly long. I like the new avatar, but I'm thinking the sig is a bit too busy. The colour themes should also match. I'll probably make them both blue. Hm. I got my 'Bebop shirt yesterday, I really like it. It's chocolate brown with this logo. It's comfy to boot.
-Cril

Well, I feel so good, everything is sounding hot
Better take it easy, 'cause the place is on fire
Been a hard day and I don't know what to do
Wait a minute, baby, it could happen to you

So glad we made it, so glad we made it
You got to gimme some lovin', gimme some lovin'
Gimme some lovin' every day

Blues Brothers - Gimme Some Lovin'

No comments: