Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Screw you, St. Valentine

Happy Singles Depression Day everyone! May all of you with someone special to love take this day to enjoy their company and show them you care. After which, you can all fall down DEAD so that the rest of us might not have to recognize this abomination to the calendar system again. Seriously, I hate this.

Who started it, and WHY? These days, it's an obvious commercial event rather than an opportunity to show what's in your heart. You don't see encouragement to just give some small yet significant token of appreciation to that special someone. No, it's all about getting them the roses and chocolates and sugar and spice and everything nice. Apparently nothing says "I love you" like well wasted money on plants that will shortly wilt and die or candy that will soon be consumed and forgotten.

AND, on top of the whole "Let's take your money in the name of this 'love' thing we keep hearing about", it singles out the... Well, singles. You're not even worth to target for advertizing if you don't have someone to buy something for. And everyone else goes through these grand gestures for their partner. The confused and companionless get to stand around like lost idiots who just don't get the point. Us losers and loners get to sit this one out and watch in either awe or disgust as the population of couples fall over eachother to prove that they indeed understand this 'love', even if all they're learning is from card makers and florists and company executives who need a poor excuse for a promotional.

So what is our problem, exactly? Why are we sitting home alone on our computers bashing just another date on a calendar? Fear? Well, what else would it be? Fear of putting yourself out there in uncomfortable territory. Fear of risking getting hurt. Again. Fear of fitting so well with someone. That's my only answer.

Either way, here's a big Screw You St. Valentine and a depressing song to match.
-Cril

Well I hope that I don't fall in love with you
'Cause falling in love just makes me blue
Well the music plays and you display your heart for me to see
I had a beer and now I hear you calling out for me
And I hope that I don't fall in love with you

Well the room is crowded, people everywhere
And I wonder, should I offer you a chair?
Well if you sit down with this old clown, take that frown and break it
Before the evening's gone away, I think that we could make it
And I hope that I don't fall in love with you

Well the night does funny things inside a man
These old tom-cat feelings you don't understand
Well I turn around to look at you, you light a cigarette
I wish I had the guts to bum one, but we've never met
And I hope that I don't fall in love with you

I can see that you are lonesome just like me
And it being late, you'd like some some company
Well I turn around to look at you, and you look back at me
The guy you're with has up and split, the chair next to you's free
And I hope that you don't fall in love with me

Now it's closing time, the music's fading out
Last call for drinks, I'll have another stout
Well I turn around to look at you, you're nowhere to be found
I search the place for your lost face, guess I'll have another round
And I think that I just fell in love with you.

Tom Waits - I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You


Happy Valentine's Day folks.

No comments: