Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Rainbow Connection

Oh me, oh my. It'd be nice if, someday, things settled down. Y'know, as in a little bit less crazy-go-nuts.

Well, I'm learning order processing (and a BAJILLION other related tasks) at work. Now, I was fine with filling, checking, and shipping orders. But playing with other people's money, not so much. It just feels like there's so much to mess up, and when something goes wrong I won't have anyone to call on to fix it. I dunno. Just the thought that I ran all the orders through yesterday gives me the chills. Because from there, I'm not sure about filling or checking or shipping orders. I mean, what if I messed it up when it went into the books? Gah, there are too many places where I can screw up and I don't have the confidence to believe I did it right.

But now I have to do an ad and design some stickers. So while it's nice to get me away from orders for a bit, I'm still feeling the pressure for graphic stuff. Today I didn't get nearly as much done as I should have, I just kept going in circles. But it doesn't really help that I'm essentially firing off as many ideas as I can, hoping that the boss will at least like one. It'd be nice to know what he wants, but I suppose that this is something that comes with the territory. I have to make something they'll like with the minimal amount of guidelines.

I guess right now I'm wondering whether or not I'm cut-out for a career in graphic design. I only have so many good ideas, right? How do I quickly and efficiently narrow them down to what's wanted for the job? What happens when, like today, I just don't have anything left in the barrel to pull from? If I go to school for x amount of years, will creative thinking come easier to me, or is it just a matter of pitching the ideas I already have in a more appealing manner?

I don't know. I just don't know.
-Cril

Who said that every wish
Would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that
And someone believed it
Look what it's done so far
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers
And me.

Kermit the Frog - The Rainbow Connection

No comments: