Sunday, March 02, 2008

All the lonely people

Another week, another... Weekend.

...

BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!

Anydangway, the deadline for our the Business project is drawing closer. While I feel that I have pretty good team mates who do their work on time... I've yet to actually see what they've done. It's my job for the week to start putting together the whole written report from what we've all assembled. I've yet to actually receive anything, and to be honest I'm a little bit fearful that the quality (or even quantity) of work will be lacking. Perhaps that's a bit elitist of me, but I can't help but worry that we'll get down to a few weeks from handing it in and I'll be scrambling to double the report length and clean out the cut-and-pastes from Wikipedia. Sigh.

Not much else is going on at the moment... I've been experiencing a quick rash of Blue Screens o' Death. I figured out how to access the stop codes (Thanks Frank!), but upon searching for their meaning I can't quite find one unifying issue that could be the source of the problem. Frank also told me a few things to try, which I'll give a go at tomorrow. But if I were to guess, something tells me it has to do with the mobo or the drivers thereof. It sure has been a while since I last formatted, and there's no doubt piles of crappy programs and old drivers floating around that could be cleaned out. We'll see though - I want to restructure my partitions, and with how cheap hard drives are these days I'd probably want a new (larger) one. And two new optical drives while I'm at it. Humph.

And speaking of buying electronics, I think I've decided to buy me an 8GB iPod Touch. I'm not going to get it asap, I have to get over the hurdle of final projects and then exams before any fun/new tech will be safe to play with. Probably once I get my first paycheck from summer work I'll get one. Better yet if I can find one on sale. Either way, though, I'll be able to do something funky with the laser engraver at work. I kind of wish I didn't need to upgrade, it is after all a ~$270 item. Alas, my Mini's battery is on the fritz again. Those things have such crappy quality. I should make sure I get some kind of extended warranty for the new unit. Or... I have two other options, really. I could replace my Mini's battery (again), and try to drag as much life as I can out of the beat up lil' bugger, or I could get a fugly 8GB nano for $70 cheaper. OR, I could get an 80GB Classic for $20 cheaper. Really... I think I'm most tempted by the touch, because of the big screen and other perks. I'm happy with my iPod Mini, but I'm afraid fixing the battery will be an unnecessary expense due to some other, unrepairable function crapping out. I've had brief problems with the screen, connection, and scroll wheel so far. With the shape the unit is in, there's no surprise if one of those problems comes back permanently. One thing is for sure though, I'll get a good case for whatever unit I decide on. I can't believe how much of a beating the unit has taken and how tattered my current case is. And I further can't believe I just spent so long talking about frikkin' iPods. Now, on with our regularly scheduled programming.

Every second week me and Frank sketch something from the same topic. This week, the criteria was "drawing a line of lyrics from a favourite song". It's more of an experiment in seeing how we interpret the topic than how the piece itself turns out. And so, can YOU guess the song?



And with that, I bid you adieu. Who ever you are that sits here and puts a conscious effort to work your way through a jumbled mess of random thoughts and rants.
-Cril

Eleanor Rigby
Picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window
Wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

1 comment:

Frank said...

I think this is my favorite of your sketches. It really has some heft to it.