Saturday, November 14, 2015

Automotive Associations

This summer as I was in my 944 on the highway between Somewhere and Somewhere Else in BC, I passed a 911 driver going the other direction. He raised his hand out the window to me, and I waved back. Felt good, man. For a moment I felt like I was part of the Porsche Cool Club. It was oddly validating. The interesting thing, though, is that the other driver was part of a procession of some ~20 Porsches flying past, and was the only one to acknowledge me (in all my lowly 944 glory). To go one step further, he's been about the only other Porsche driver to offer a friendly gesture in the whole year I drove the car.

About a week after buying the Prelude, as I was walking out to it after work and thought to myself, "Damn, this thing looks like a boy racer/rice rocket". I was kinda dismayed. Yes, it drove nice and was comfortable and all that, but I realized it totally associates me as a try hard/tuner crowd wannabe.

Here's the thing though: in the two months I've had it, I've had about 4-5 friendly encounters with other Prelude drivers. A thumbs up, wave, nod... They seem like cool cats.

So maybe I'm not so fancy no more, but it's neat to be part of a Friendly Club for once.

Car culture is strange.
-Cril

2 comments:

Frank said...

I don't know about up there, but down here all motorcycle people tend to wave to each other. But we never wave to the people in the scooters.

Crilix said...

Yeah, I see that a bit here too.

Someday I want to have a car actually worth showing off, so I can attend some sorta event and maybe actually interact with some of these people for more than a passing moment.