Sunday, January 08, 2012

An Addled Republic

So I started classes this week. Friday was some academic (3hr) course, and Saturday was a studio (6hr) course. I'm pretty happy with my professors so far. They seem like really good dudes, and I'm excited for what we'll cover. I know it's way too early to tell, but I have a slightly better feeling about this semester than the last one. Mind you, that doesn't take into account that I have classes all day Saturday and then none on Monday. It's like switching Sunday and Saturday around, and my internal clock is already feeling befuddled.

All of these good vibes start to fade a bit when I think of everything else that's going on, though. I'm going on a trip with a bunch of classmates to New York over reading break. I'm sure it'll be a great experience, but it'll be a pretty exhausting thing to do in the middle of the semester. That, and between paying for tickets and such and not being able to go to work that week, my wallet will feel the pain. Pretty quick after I get back there'll be a portfolio show too, which I'll need to get my stuff ready for. Then there's an internship I need to do in the spring, which I've yet to do anything for. Add on top of this a smattering of work and freelance with a pinch of personal goals... Bleh. It's easy to feel overwhelmed. I keep on finding myself thinking, "But wait - I have Mondays off! I can do this!" Only to realize seconds later that, oh right, I don't have Saturdays off any more.

Devine Intervention by Moonlit Dashboard II

I've been working on doing a better job defining some of the personal goals I've made. Breaking them down into more specific, to-do style tasks. That's making me feel simultaneously confident ("hey, I think I'll be able to do that one thing") and overwhelmed ("...those are a lot of things"). We'll see how it goes. On the plus side, I'm not week into the new year and I've been keeping up with both my sketching and playing music. And as of right now, my blog writing too. That's gotta count for something.

There's a lot I have going on in my head, though. If I had entire week to myself, I still feel like it wouldn't be enough to get it all down my journal.
-Cril

As we've written our stories to entertain
These notions of glory and bull market gain
The teleprompter flutters, the power surge brings
An easy speed message falls into routine

Providence blinked, facing the sun
Where are we left to carry on
Until the day is done
Until the day is done

R.E.M - Until the Day is Done

No comments: