Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Music

Recently I've been pondering my taste in music.

Mainly with the new Linkin Park album coming up. LP barely gets any playtime on the iPod. I mean, back in school I listened to it all. The. Time. Currently, an LP song is about #20 on my most listened to list of tracks, with 45 plays. But I remember (since that fateful day when I accidentally nuked all my iTunes stats...) when 90% of my top 20 were LP songs. I made a dedicated Linkin Park playlist, so I wouldn't have to browse all the way to the artist or album to listen to it. I used to inhale their stuff.

And now I don't. I still like their music. I love the dynamic of hard and delicate elements. But I just don't actively seek out their music anymore. Why is that? Has my taste in music really changed that much over the past year? Well, I guess I've just had... Impulsive tendencies with my music. I remember being hooked on Rob Dougan, Moby, Evanescence, and (most noteably) Linkin Park. Now it's a lot more... Alternative/punk. Lots of the Barenaked Ladies, some Alanis Morisette, The Fray... I wonder if/when I develop a solid taste in music, and what it'll be. I'm sure what bands I've mentioned thus far will always have a time and a place that they'll be listened to and enjoyed by me. The question is, what will I crave?

But what was really nagging me was whether or not to get the new LP album. They mention in newsletters how they've changed. Does that mean I might not like their new sound? What if their new style is better, but I don't enjoying because, well... I'm not as big a Linkin Park fan as I once was? I've purchased all three Linkin Park albums to date, and each one has gotten its value in playtime.

Maybe it's just as I go through the music on my iPod, I keep finding music that I go "Blech, what's that doing on there?" And then I realise, I used to like it. Really, really like it. It seems I'm constantly clearing off old music to make room for my new, latest craving. And the problem is, I think I'm not finding any of that fast enough. What does that mean? Will I end up with a next to empty MP3 player? Is that my destiny? I guess time will tell.

But as for the present, my top song (with 79 play counts) is Falling for the First Time By the Barenaked Ladies. I'm such a fan of them. But, like Linkin Park, how long will that last?
-Cril

My heart, my pain won't cover up
You left me, ah, ah, ah, ah
My heart
My heart won't take this cover up
You left me, ah, ah, ah, ah

And I can't change this
I can never take it back
But now I can't change your mind
(You left me)
And I can't this
I can never take this back
But now I can't change your mind
can't change your mind
(You left me)
Can't change you mind
(You left me)
(You left me)
(You left me)
(You left me)

Go away
Make it go away
Please.

Blue October feat. Imogen Heap - Congratulations


And that's what I'm craving right now. I'm not a huge fan of the lead vocals for Blue October, but this one is pretty good. That, and Imogen Heap. She's one of those distinct vocalists that you like to be a fan of. You may not like most of the songs she does, but there's something about her voice and style that you just want more of...

No comments: