Saturday, December 01, 2007

Beethoven has never been so badass...

That is, until the electric guitar, drums, lighting systems and flames. Big, 10 foot high flames. That were multicoloured.

And what am I talking about exactly? Yesterday I saw the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Vancouver. Wow, was it intense. It was about 2 and a half hours of rockin' goodness. The first half was the Christmas Eve and Other Stories album with narration, which was hella cool. The second half was a bit of everything, including some Beethoven, Mozat, and Linus and Lucy. The sound was a bit loud - I was hoping I would adjust like at the movies, but the treble was rather piercing the whole way through the performance. I could've used some earplugs or something, just to take the edge off. As for the visuals... YIZA.

Quite an incredible lighting system they had. There were different rigs that would rise and lower and rotate with various lighting attachments. There were textures on huge screens, spotlights, laser shows, and flames. At first I thought the flame emitters were just those novelty-store items, the ones with lit up orange fabric being blown around by a fan. And then flames shot ten feet high. In five or six different colours. In time with the music. Wow, was I blown away. Then they had an elevated uber flame with the sound/production crew near the back by where we were. That thing was massive. We could feel the heat. Way intense.

So yeah, hella good time. We went to Anton's for pasta before the concert, and that was pretty good too. Afterwards, though, there was not an ice cream joint to be found - Starbucks, DQ, and some milkshake place were all closed, so we just went home. We got back at ~1:30am, after which I proceeded to sleep for 12hours. Yup, I woke up at 1:15pm. Blech, what a nasty feeling, I wasted the majority of the day. I did manage to get most of my long procrastinated philosophy essay done. I should be able to finish it off tomorrow and have it ready for class on Monday.

It's snowing. I went out for a walk an hour and a bit ago, but it was really light. Now it's coming down a bit heavier. I want to go for another walk...
-Cril

An angel returned
That night through the sky
But time it was short
He had to decide

And so as he flew
Back over the land
A gift for his Lord
Was there in his hand

It was the glow of a light
It was the heart of a song
It was the tear of a child
Where they never belonged
It was the wish of a soul
On an old neon light
And the Lord smiled at him
On that cold winter night

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - An Angel Returned

No comments: