Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I've been working on a cocktail...

BOOYAH! CHECK THIS ACTION OUT!

CS-Nation Left 4 Dead Contest

BAHAHAHAHA!

Cough. Ahem.

I went to bed at about 11:15 last night - I'd been secretly refreshing the site throughout the day without any results. No updates. No updates. Get work done. Still no updates. So I was lying there and I knew that, yes, the last thing I did before shutting the computer down was check for the update that obviously wasn't there. But that was a whole twenty minutes ago. So I reached over to my desk, groping around in the dark until... Voila! The iPod! I turned it on and was promptly blinded by the screen. Lo and behold, I connected to the wifi and sat squirming during the excruciatingly tedious loading of the site. And was instantly rewarded. I didn't enlarge the page, I just saw saw my screen name at the top of the post under "GRAND PRIZE WINNERS", and promptly turned off the iPod. That's all I needed to know. I didn't fall asleep for another hour.

Okay, so I admit that there are three other "Grand Prize Winners", but I take some solace in the fact that my entry is the very first one listed. And by "my entry" I totally mean "our entry". This piece is no less than a week old - it was announced on Monday and I immediately knew I didn't stand a chance without my go-to-guy Vader "draw the freaky-est zombies you've ever seen" OnIce. He did all the line-work, aside from two of my scraggly survivors and a cooler in the barricade. He drew straight for two or three evenings, and I coloured straight for two more. By then the short deadline of Saturday had approached and we fired in the submission. And promptly kicked all sorts of ass.

And it's not necessarily about the prize - we're going to have issues figuring out just how to split it up and get it from A to B. It's all about the satisfaction of knowing that all the hard work paid off. So many times you chug and chug away at something, thinking "This is going to be AWESOME!", only for it to turn out semi-mediocre. And no one notices and the world moves on. But it's so nice to having something that you really put solid effort into become recognized. I guess it's validation, really. For all the occasions when something falls flat on it's face, it's nice to know that you're not always yelling into the dark. Sometimes someone yells back. And that is the best part. It's nice to have someone else be able to pull something you've done out of a pile, and say "Yes, this one is noteworthy."

Crilix L4D Contest Submission

Best. Feeling. Ever.
-Cril

I've been working on a cocktail called Grounds for Divorce
Whoah
Polishing a compass that I hold in my sleep
Whoah
Doubt comes in on sticks but then he kicks like a horse
Whoah
There's a Chinese cigarette case
And the rest you can keep
And the rest you can keep
And the rest you can keep

Elbow - Grounds for Divorce

No comments: