Thursday, November 20, 2008

"See? This is why I can't own nice things!"

Or rather, why I probably shouldn't own nice things.

Within the last twenty-four hours, I've broken no less than THREE electronic accessories. That's an average of one every eight hours - it's almost like working a full-time job!

It started off last night with my Logitech controller. I installed the new Need for Speed, and noticed that I was drifting to the left a lot. Sigh. Sure enough, my one analog stick isn't centering properly.

THEN, this morning, I was listening to the iPod at my desk. Someone came in to talk to me, so I paused it and set it aside. When I went to start it up again... One of the channels was dead in the headphones. And it wasn't like the wire was getting worn out or anything - usually wiggling the wire just right can get the signal back. But this was not the case. The left channel is DEAD, and I can't get it to return. These are the $70 headphones I got less than six months ago. And again with the averages, that's about $10 a month.

FINE! That was a bit of a bummer. I mean, I wasn't really fond of that set, so I was kinda hoping I might be able to sell them for a bit and go buy another pair. In the mean time I hook up my old antique headphones, and listen to some Paul Okenfold and Our Lady Peace for a few hours while I chug away at work. Again someone comes in, so I set it aside. Then upon putting them back on resuming the playlist I find that my right channel has mysteriously gone silent. Same thing - wiggling doesn't help, they're still busted in other media players, and a coworkers set works fine in my iPod. But that pretty much exhausted my operational listening accessories, so I had to sweat out the remaining 20-something minutes of a podcast with one channel. But what really sucks is that I totally like the antique set, and they aren't in any way replaceable.

So what's the cause? Technology just hates me, I guess (I won't even mention the grief my work machine is giving me). I really don't know what it is. Could my iPod jack be cursed/damaged in a way that it breaks jacks that have been inserted? They didn't look visibly damaged at all. Maybe there were mysterious magnetic fields at work in the corner of my desk where I put the headphones down? Or, perhaps it was all a freak coincidence. They were fairly old headphones, and the newer ones have seen their share of abuse.

What now? Well, I guess I dig out the old ear buds that've been sitting in my summer jacket. If those suddenly cease to function, we'll know it's the iPod. But I will have come to that conclusion that by sacrificing three parts to discover the fourth is the issue. At least my iPod is still under warranty, and Apple is pretty quick with repairs. But my antiques are not, and that frikkin' sucks. Among many other things. Sigh.


-Cril

I hoped to find why this world wasn't glowing
Glowing it darkens as we end this ride
I've fallen back under the equator
I'm back inside, I'm back inside

When I find out what went on
I'll bring it back but it wont be easy
They wont believe the man he could
But I'd choose starseed over nothing
Nothing

Our Lady Peace - Starseed

No comments: