Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Long and Winding Road

It was three years ago tonight, about now, that I got on a certain Alberta-bound Greyhound bus with a carefully picked assortment of belongings. Man, that bus ride sucked. I figured if I board the evening bus and it was approximately a 13hr journey, all I'd have to do is get my 8hrs of sleep, and voila! I'm there! Except in reality it was closer to 2.5hrs of broken rest, most of it between Banff and Calgary. I wonder why I didn't sleep much that night. Nerves, probably. I had no idea what I was doing or getting myself into. Living and working with relatives that I'd seen once in the past three years. But all my other siblings had done a similar stint, so why not?

Little did I know that I'd be employed by them for three years and make over $10/hr (gasp!) doing a job I enjoy but am not remotely qualified to do. There have been obligatory ups-and-downs, a change in residence, a year of general studies somewhere in between, homesickness, physical sickness, and a whole payload of assorted emotions and situations and decisions.

Looking back at the kid who got on a late-night bus is kind of difficult. Of course when you do something like that, there's always the compulsory reaction of "I was so naive and clueless!!" Which no doubt means that three more years from now I'll look back and realize that maybe I still had/have more in common than I'd care to admit.
-Cril

Had a dream I was born
To be naked in the eye of the storm
And now it's standing right in front of me
What's it going to do to me, who knows,
Had a dream it was time
To be taken to the front of the line
Well that is not a place you wanna be
Sleeping with the enemy, you know

Roger Hodgson - Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy)

1 comment:

Eric said...

Some of us are quite glad you got on that bus all those nights ago. We've made a very good friend, and wouldn't trade that for anything. It was more than just Dason who missed you during that year of general studies.

-E