Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Snow on Election Day

There's something indescribably profound in spending an evening split between watching election results roll in and watching the first snow of the season drift down. I can't say what the significance is, exactly, but it just somehow feels... Appropriate. Never mind the fact that the elections are in who 'nother country.

To be perfectly honest, I was kind of surprised at how close it was. But I suppose that's what you get for getting the majority of your political news from internet-based social media. Heck, if Digg was even remotely as accurate as its readers treat the content, we'd all be hailing under the banner of Ron Paul at this point. I mentioned this thought to my friend/roommate, to which he replied, "Who's he?" I laughed. Oh the internet, you have so far to go.

I watched Obama's acceptance speech, and I felt it was pretty strong. There's definitely an air of something new on the horizon. Dare I even say it, "change". But I honestly have a hard time believing that politicians will turn out like they campaign to be. I doubt Obama will even remotely resemble the likes of a certain Mr Smith Who Went To Washington. Maybe he'll turn out to be just another mediocre head-of-state, and the country will stay on its current course.

But you can't help but feel from the sheer possibility that we could be on the edge of something new and better.
-Cril

Me used to be a angry young man
Me hiding me head in the sand
You gave me the word, I finally heard
I'm doing the best that I can

I've got to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time (It can't get no worse)
I have to admit its getting better, it's getting better
Since you've been mine (Getting so much better all the time)

Beatles - Getting Better

No comments: