Tuesday, November 11, 2008

War and Pieces

Today I started what is going to be a tradition. Generally, in the past, I don't really pay all that much attention to Remembrance Day. Don't get me wrong - I have the utmost respect for those who've served and sacrificed. But I end up taking the day off, and maybe I'll fire up some Day of Defeat, Call of Duty, or other war-themed game. It has a sense of black irony to it.

But today, tonight, not two minutes ago I finished watching Episode Six of Band of Brothers, titled 'Bastogne'. Out of all the episodes of all the shows, this has to be in my top five. The series itself focuses on the men of the American 101st Airborne Division, specifically Easy Company, and their involvement in the Second World War. The entire show is triple-A material, with incredible attention to detail and one of the strongest atmosphere's I've ever seen captured on film.

But Episode Six, in particular, is something special. It revolves around the company medic as he tries to hold his company together, while falling apart himself. It's really touching, and the harsh imagery of fresh snow lathered in even fresher blood hits it home. Now I'm not generally the kind who enjoys gore and grit, but 'Bastogne' somehow has an undefined appeal. Not the kind of 'check out this awesome action' appeal, but the kind of appeal that touches something a lot more... Fundamental to your soul. The compassion and friendship and loss and hatred really digs down deep, and really grabs at something that doesn't often get touched. Every time I watch it, my heart breaks a little bit more.

I don't know why I keep going back, but it's one of those things that I guess I can afford to do once a year. It immediately impacts my grasp at just what I'm trying to Remember. I truly can't craft sufficient words to put it into perspective. Chocolate bars, muttered phrases in French, spare boots, a blue handkerchief, syrettes and falling snow. They all up to so much more than just the sum of their parts.



Of course, today will also be of note in that a quirky and lovable family pet passed away. I don't have anything clever or wise to say, but it seems fitting in some ways and in others not at all to share the occasion. But I guess the feelings of loss and regret and thoughts of better times will be right at home.

Happy Remembrance Day.
-Cril

Do you see the soldiers they're out today
They brush the dust from bullet proof vests away
It's ironic at times like this you pray
But a bomb blew the mosque up yesterday

Linkin Park - Hands Held High

No comments: